Rugby clubs continue to dominate

The Dartmouth Rugby Football Club went into its home opener Saturday outscoring its opponents by a combined 77 points, but after scoring the first eight points in the contest, Boston University appeared ready to give the crowd a close game

The Terriers were not, however, prepared to give the Big Green ruggers one.

BU played an impressive first 20 minutes as it scored an unanswered penalty and try and demonstrated much-improved play calling and game awareness than the Terrier side of last year.

A rugby match, however, is 80 minutes long, and Dartmouth answered with authority in the 60 minutes which followed, going on to win 34-13.

Dartmouth used its varied attack to set up the different aspects of its offense. Inside runs created the room for the Big Green to use their speed to run wide, while the expectation of outside threat in turn allowed Dartmouth to run off rucks successfully.

"It's sort of chicken and egg matter," said prop Jon Moore '96, who had two tries on the day. Torbjorn Dimblad '97, who also scored two of the Big Green's five tries, added, "The only question really is, which am I."

After the Big Green added yet another try to go on top 12-8 with 10 minutes left in the first half, Moore's first try and a penalty kick by Patrick Mcloughlin '96 brought the score to 22-8 at the end of the half.

Dimblad's and Moore's second tries in the second half put the game well out of reach, although BU mustered a final score of their own as the game closed.

The Big Green will look to improve its undefeated record this Saturday at 12:00 p.m. when they play Amherst.