Remembering Theodore 'Dr. Seuss' Geisel '25

Homecoming is a time to recognize the contributions of alumni to the College. One of Dartmouth's favorite and most colorful alumnus is children's author Theodore Seuss Geisel '25.

Geisel's experiences at the College played an influential role in shaping his career.

In uncovering Geisel's history at Dartmouth, one discovers that behind the "cat-in-the-hat" facade of Dr. Seuss, lies a complex man whose life was filled with paradoxes.

For example, Geisel devoted his entire life to entertaining children but did not have any of his own. In fact, he spent much of his career living in seclusion at his retreat in La Jolla, California which allegedly has a sign in front warning, "Beware of the Cat."

According to USA Today, Geisel was actually terrified of children and often said, "You make 'em, I amuse 'em."

A Typical Dartmouth Student

Geisel spent much of his time at Dartmouth writing for the Jack-o-Lantern and partying, according to The New York Times.

He spent many late nights in Robinson Hall with his close friend, Whitney Campbell '24, editor-in-chief of the Dartmouth. The two would play poker in the early hours of the morning, waiting for the paper to go to press.

Geisel adopted the pseudonym "Dr. Seuss" while at Dartmouth due to an alcohol violation.

He was caught with a bottle of gin in his room, and his punishment was to resign as editor of the Jack-o-Lantern, according to an article in The Dartmouth. Reluctant to stop writing for the Jack-o-Lantern, he wrote under various pseudonyms until he finally settled on Dr. Seuss.

The name was derived from Geisel's middle name, Seuss, and was satirically preceded by "Dr." as a parody to science.

In addition to his involvement with the Jack-o-Lantern, Geisel was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity and Casque and Gauntlet.

Geisel felt that his Dartmouth education played an important role in his development as a writer.

"Dartmouth is where I really got into writing," he said in an interview for the Dartmouth Review. "I was editor of the Jack-o-Lantern, and I spent most of my four years fooling around in the publication offices with my friends who were editors of papers like The Daily Dartmouth."

His experience at the College impacted upon his writing in other ways as well; allegedly, he wrote "Green Eggs and Ham" after attending an alumni function where the food was dyed green.

Life after Dartmouth

After his four years at the College, Geisel went on to Oxford to pursue a career as an English professor, but after two years, he dropped out.

He drifted throughout Europe mingling with Lost Generation writers including Earnest Hemingway, James Joyce and Gertrude Stein.

After roaming Europe for several years, Geisel set out to write a

novel, an aspiration which the Great Depression forced him to put on hold.

He returned to America and wrote for various humor magazines and then spent ten years as a commercial artist.

Geisel's first book, "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street", was not published until 1937.

His work was rejected by publishers 27 times because they thought it was too unlike other children's books. In a stroke of good fortune, Geisel coincidentally ran into an acquaintance from Dartmouth who was a publisher at Vanguard Press and agreed to take the story.

Following his first publishing venture, Geisel gave the world 60 years of stories, writing 49 children's books which have been translated into 22 different languages and have sold over 200 million copies.

A Faithful Alumnus

As an alumnus, President James Freedman said, Geisel "is a great friend of Dartmouth--active, generous and supportive of the College for many years."

He donated all of his first edition books to the College.

"Geisel's portrait hangs in the Dartmouth library reminding our students of 'the places you'll go'," Freedman said.

The portrait was unveiled in 1982 at Geisel's class reunion.

Geisel died on September 25, 1991, after having been ill for many months.

His death so saddened the Dartmouth community that a 24-hour read-a-thon was held in his honor.

Dean of the Students Lee Pelton began the vigil by reading "The Cat in the Hat." Afterwards, President James Freedman read "Green Eggs and Ham."

Even after his death, Geisel's contributions to children's literature live on.

In the Fall of 1999, Geisel's A-B-C will come out on CD Rom.

A Dr. Seuss theme park is scheduled to open in Orlando as part of a $3 billion expansion of Universal Studios. The park will consist of the "Cat in the Hat Adventure Ride", a "Caro-Seuss-el" and a "Green Eggs and Ham" cafe.

Dr. Seuss will be remembered at this weekend's Homecoming ceremonies when professors Don Pease and William Cook give a lecture entitled "Ted Geisel's Life and Humor" tomorrow.