Psychedelic Asgard a joke

To the Editor:

When I opened my copy of The Dartmouth this morning, I was quite surprised to see the poster for the coffeehouse I chaired for Asgard last weekend in the middle of an Opinion column. When I actually read the surrounding column ("What a Strange Drip It's Been") I was even more amazed. In fact, I was laughing so hard my roommate started giving me odd looks. "What in the heck is Asgard doing with a Psychedelic Coffeehouse?" wrote John Strayer '96. I'd like to relieve Strayer's confusion over the matter. Asgard as a group does not assign themes to their coffeehouses. That particular delight is left to the event chairs and whoever else's brain they can pick, in this case, myself and my roommate. Psychedelic Coffeehouse started as a joke on ourselves. Strayer answers his own question in the first paragraph when he says he "was struck by the irony -- Psychedelic Asgard?" That was the whole idea. We weren't going for a global message, just a good giggle. For those who missed the event, we decorated the Hyphen with colored saran wrap and streamers and served brownies, doughnuts and hot tea and cider, in addition to coffee.