Professors speak on Dr. Seuss

As part of the weekend's Homecoming festivities, English Professors William Cook and Donald Pease spoke about the life and writings of Theodor Geisel '25, also known as Dr. Seuss.

Cook, in a speech titled "Geisel Hears a Hoot: Dr. Seuss Healer of Sick Minds," said the writings of Dr. Seuss rebelled against the standard forms of children's literature of the time and challenged conventional thinking on the role of women in society.

Pease discussed Geisel's experience at Dartmouth and how it shaped his life and career.

Speaking before a large crowd in Loew Auditorium, Cook said the aim of traditional children's books was to teach values and morals.

The subject matter of children's books was designed not to offend any of its young readers and often misrepresented reality, Cook said. For example, he said a book about pioneers failed to mention clashes between settlers and Native Americans.

He said the children featured in this literature were paradigms of miniature adults -- well-behaved, calm and polite.

As a result, Cook said, the books denied the reality of the childhood experience and were painfully boring for young readers.

Cook said Geisel's stories created a revolution in the world of children's literature. The books allowed youngsters to use their imaginations and read about chaos and fun.

Geisel used illustrations, rhyme and meter and cliff hangers at the end of each page to make his books enjoyable and understandable for children, Cook said.

Cook said the absence of authority and ideals of the adult world made Geisel's Dr. Seuss books appealing to children.

Geisel's most famous character, The Cat in the Hat, breaks every rule of decorum by encouraging two children to make a mess of their house.

Cook also said Geisel challenged prescribed societal standards and the traditional role of women in his books. In one Dr. Seuss book, Cook said, the main character Daisy is a wild, trouble-causing young girl, an antithesis to the perfectly ladylike girls portrayed in traditional stories, and the young girl's mother works as a welder.

Pease discussed the man behind Dr. Seuss and how his life affected his writings. He said Geisel was greatly influenced by his time at the College.

According to Pease, Geisel was not a serious student and spent much of his time partying with friends and contributing to the Jack-O-Lantern, Dartmouth's humor magazine.

Pease said during one spring break, the Dean of the College prohibited Geisel from writing for the Jack-O-Lantern because he was caught drinking, a violation of current prohibition laws.

Rather than submit to the censorship, Geisel used his middle name to create the pseudonym Dr. Seuss, Pease said, and he continued writing for the magazine.

Pease said Geisel considered himself a failure because he never realized his dream to become an English professor.

But despite his own feeling of failure, generations of readers and critics have heralded Seuss as a hero for his ability to create enjoyable and timeless children's books.

The discussion was sponsored by the Class of 1951.