Men's soccer wins first game of season

A 2-1 victory over rival Yale gave the men's soccer team its first win of the season in their Ivy League opener Saturday night at Yale.

Forward Hunter Paschall's '96 two goals gave the Big Green all they needed as they improved their record to 1-6 on the year, 1-0 in League play.

After a scoreless first half, Paschall scored his first goal of the game as he shook loose from his defender at midfield and crossed the field, reversed his direction 18 yards from the goal and beat Yale goalie Adam Sullins.

Paschall extended the Big Green's lead five minutes later on a penalty kick given to Dartmouth when a Yale defender knocked a Big Green shot away with his hands, preventing a sure goal. The player was ejected and the penalty kick was awarded to Paschall, who shot the ball into an open right side as the goalie guessed left.

Yale responded late in the game with their only goal on a penalty kick by Julio Guzman. The kick was awarded after a Big Green defender was called for a penalty in the box on a Bulldog corner kick.

"They called a foul on one of our defenders, but it was a really weak call to make," Zach Somol '98 said. "Everybody was going for the ball, and I don't think the official should have made the call."

One of the differences for the Big Green was the play of midfielder Methembe Ndlovu '97 who joined the team this week after playing for the Zimbabwe National team in the early part of the season.

"There were times in the game when he just dominated with his talent and his experience," Gareth Jones '99 said. "That gave us confidence and really solidified our play."

"We stay focused the entire game, and that was the difference between this game and our previous losses," co-Captain David Moran '96 said.

The victory was the Big Green's first win at Yale since 1988.

"This game showed us that we can win games and that we are not playing as poorly as our record may indicate," Jones said. "Right now, we're undefeated and headed on a path to win the Ivy League."

The next game for the Big Green is Wednesday when they travel to the University of New Hampshire, while their next Ivy League contest is this Saturday at home against Brown.

"This win was key for us because we know that we are not going to receive an at large bid into the NCAA tournament, so the only way to get to the tournament is to win the Ivy League," Moran said. "This win was a start, but we need to remain focused and remember that this is only one of seven games in the Ivy that we have to win."