Men's soccer holds lead to beat Maine

A late goal by freshman Alan Lemley gave the men's soccer team a 2-1 road victory over Maine. The win ended the Big Green's four game losing streak and improved the team's record to 3-10 on the season.

The Big Green took the lead in the first half when forward Hunter Paschall '96 scored his team leading seventh goal to put the Big Green ahead 1-0. Paschall headed in a crossing pass from teammate Zach Samol '98.

The game remained 1-0 as the Big Green stymied Maine's offense. But Maine finally broke on a Chris Ahern header to tie the score and 1-1 with 2:44 remaining in the game.

Unwilling to lose a game that they had seemingly won, the Big Green rallied just 18 seconds later. Midfielder Methembe Ndlovu '97 came free and raced up the right wing where he dumped off the ball to Lemley.

Lemley was able to get by a Black Bear defender and send a left-footed rolling shot towards the far post, beating Maine goalkeeper Nate Benoit. It was Lemley's first collegiate goal on his first collegiate shot.

Dartmouth outshot the Black Bears 12-8 on their way to a two-goal game, their first since their Oct. 1 victory over Yale.

The defense made sure the two goals were enough for victory as the Big Green gave up only one shot in the first half. Big Green goalkeeper Matt Nyman '99 only had to make three saves to gain his third victory of the year.

The Big Green will play in the second game of Saturday's doubleheader against Harvard, as they try to gain their second Ivy League victory of the year and improve their 1-3 league record.