Half of renovation money raised

The College has only raised about half of the $10 million it needs to convert Webster Hall into a Special Collections library, leaving Webster's immediate future in limbo and potentially delaying the proposed expansion of Baker Library.

The College originally planned to begin construction on Webster in the summer of 1994.

Special Collections must be moved before construction can begin on the new Berry Library. John Berry '44 gave $25 million in 1992 for the construction of a new, state-of-the-art library.

The last stages of planning for the Berry expansion are due to begin this Winter term.

"The story from my point of view is that we finished the second stage of planning, which was design, two years ago," Director of Facilities Planning Gordie DeWitt said.

Planning for the Webster renovations began nearly five years ago, but it is "still in fund raising, as it has been for two years, and I don't know exactly where [the state of] that is," DeWitt said.

"We really need some space in the [Baker Library] building to get things going," DeWitt said. "We need what is called decanting space, so that we can move people around during construction."

The total gifts and pledges to the Webster project currently add up to $4.9 million, according to Director of Major Gifts Paul Sheff.

"We are and have been, for the last year and a half, in a very active fund-raising mode," Sheff said. "The goal is to finish fund raising and completion of the [Webster] project before the Berry project begins."

No one is sure when the necessary funds for Webster's renovation will be obtained, or where they will come from.

"I know fund-raising better than to make a prediction," Deputy Provost Bruce Pipes said.

Once the construction on Webster begins, however, the College will be left without a medium-sized programming venue, which could cause problems for the Programming Board.

"The events we usually have in Webster hall are mid-sized concerts like the Dave Matthews Band, Cracker, or Natalie Merchant when she came without the 10,000 Maniacs," said Ruth Morgan '96, co-chair of the Programming Board. "They wouldn't quite fit in Leede, but they also wouldn't fit in Spaulding."

Dave Grelotti '96, the other Programming Board co-chair, said Webster is preferable to Leede Arena because it is cheaper.

Grelotti also said Webster is easier to book because it does not house sporting events and team practices like Leede does.

Other than Webster, there are few sites on campus that hold more than 500 people. When Webster is not available, the Programming Board must find alternate ways to house many of its performances.

The Programming Board may not have to worry about what to do when Webster closes if the additional $5.1 million is not raised.

"Last year, we were sure we wouldn't be using [Webster Hall] after the Winter term, then the Spring term, then the Summer term," Morgan said. "But the fact is that we're still using it this year."