Field hockey overcomes Bucknell

The Dartmouth field hockey team blew past Bucknell yesterday by a score of 3-0. The win marks Dartmouth's third this week, and fourth straight.

Dartmouth attacked right away in the first half when Cynthia Roberts '96 scored at 10:47. Roberts' tally came from a direct corner from Kelly Hannigan '97 and Weze Shorts '99. Roberts slapped the goal in between the legs of the Bucknell goalie Maureen Breslin.

"It was great how we scored right away," Shorts said. "That's something that we don't usually do. We usually end up having to fight back after the other team scores, but today we took it right from the start. We had a completely different mindset."

Jen Karlen '98 added another with 6:15 left in the first half. Karlen ran down the right side of the field, blasted past the Bucknell keeper and scored.

"Our passing combinations were really good," Lauren Worley '99 said. "We definitely finished our plays today. We had never played Bucknell and had no idea how good they were. We knew we could beat them though."

The second half proved to be ineffective for Bucknell, who took only three shots on goal. Senior goalkeeper Lauren Demski made two saves overall, this being her second straight shutout and fifth overall in the year.

Emily Loudon '99 scored the third goal for the Big Green late in the second half. Loudon was in a mad scramble at the Bucknell net and made her first career goal for Dartmouth.

"Julie said that Bucknell was on par with UVM in terms of playing style and skills," Shorts said. "We knew they were a tough team to beat, though. We've had four games in eight days and we still stayed strong."

The UVM win Dartmouth captured last week brought Coach Julie Dayton her 25th win of her career. This will be Dayton's third season at Dartmouth.

Bucknell held a 7-7 record going into yesterday's game, and it was its last game of the season. Dartmouth currently stands at 10-5 overall and hopes to compete in the upcoming ECAC tournament.

Dartmouth's final game will be next Saturday at Chase field versus Harvard.

"We have so much to gain," Shorts said. "To win the season with an 11-4 record would be great for us. It's doable and we hope to finish the season on a win."