COP to discuss questionnaire results

The Committee on Organization and Policy will meet on Tuesday to discuss results from a survey sent in the Winter term evaluating the Academic Honor Principle, and will probably release a response to the survey later this term.

Geography Professor Richard Barff, who chairs the COP, said the honor principle survey was sent to 800 students and faculty after Dean of the College Lee Pelton requested a comprehensive survey.

Barff said he thinks the honor principle is "probably not in crisis" although the committee has not yet released any of the survey's findings.

The point of Tuesday's COP meeting will be to draw conclusions from survey results in the hope of drafting a "response" to campus opinion of the honor principle, Barff said. He said the "response" will either be a summary of the survey's findings or the actual findings. He said the response also may include some commentary from the COP. From the information gathered, the COP may advise Pelton to make changes to the honor principle, Barff said.

The response and the recommendations will be published before the end of the term and will be available to the student body, Barff said.

The questionnaire, which was sent to students and faculty in Febuary, asked students how familiar they were with the honor principle, what actions they felt violated the honor code and whether they had ever witnessed a violation.

Faculty members received a similar survey containing questions about their views of the Committee on Standards and its treatment of honor code violations, Barff said.

The COS adjudicates and penalizes students who allegedly violate the College's rules, including the honor principle. The COS, which is led by Pelton, is composed of students, administrators and faculty.