Rugby clubs seize early wins

The Men's rugby team rolled to a 2-0 record with a 50-0 dismantling of Holy Cross last Saturday.

In the Big Green's second game in which they amassed 50 or more points, Dartmouth showcased its defensive starch. The Big Green allowed three tries in last week's 52-25 defeat of Brown, but Saturday held strong in the face of Holy Cross pressure to deny them the try-zone completely.

The victory puts the Big Green, the defending New England Champions, atop the New England football Union Collegiate Premier Division once again. This league is the top ranked league in New England.

Heavy pressure on the Holy Cross scrumhalf and flyhalf directly led to Dartmouth's first-half scoring.By blocking or rushing several Crusader kicks, Dartmouth reaped repeated rucks, scrums and line-outs within the Holy Cross 22-meter line.

Scrumhalf Doug Bernaford '98 scored the first points by touching down his own block of a Crusader attempt for touch and added a second try later in the half running off a five-meter scrum and spinning away from a tackle across the tryline.

Senior Patrick McLoughlin's try in the corner and Chris McGee's interception of a tipped lineout on the two-meter mark rounded out a 24-0 first half.Holy Cross mounted a sustained attack near the end of the half, but the Dartmouth forwards, with key tackles by Pete Martin '97 and Jon Moore '96, stopped them short.

The second half read much like the first. Control of rucks gave Dartmouth continued possesion leading to tries by Craig Thomas '96, Micke Morn '97, Jon Stoel '96 and Craig Smith '97.

Despite the overwhelming victory, the Big Green still showed potential for improvement.Several knock-ons and a few forward passes slowed Dartmouth early on.

"I'm enormously happy with the win," Captain Todd Aaron '96 said. "But I'd like to take it up one step more."

Not only did the varsity fare well last weekend, but also the younger, inexperienced playershad a strong showing.

"What pleased me most about the day was to see the B, C and Freshmen sides win as well," Aaron said. " It shows that the club is thriving."

The Big Green will look to continue its winning streak this weekend when they travel to Boston University. BU, 1-1 in the League, will be out to get the undefeated Big Green.

"We're looking to remain undefeated," Coach Waine Young said. "We have a good team, so I think we will do well."