Rich's Speech Was Overly Pessimistic

I have to disagree with Student Assembly President Jim Rich's overarching theme of "team nothing" as discussed in his speech at this year's Convocation. I think it's a mistake to start off the new academic year on such a pessimistic note. His characterization of many Dartmouth students as lazy and apathetic seems to be an angry lashing out at a small group of individuals who would not be the type to show up to a Convocation ceremony anyway. I feel that the Dartmouth community is impressive and diverse. How many of us have traveled the planet, climbed mountains, played a team sport, spoken another language, written articles or even books, composed music, created art, written poetry, worked in a lab, been part of a humanitarian effort or served as a teacher to others? I can't be anything but impressed with the fine people around me, whom I am privileged enough to call my classmates. There are always some lazy people out there, but I think Rich was remiss in placing so much focus on this minority. '99s should enter Dartmouth knowing what a dynamic and amazing environment it is and that they are in the company of some of America's best students.