Memorial for Devens will be held on Sunday

Sarah Devens' death this summer affects the entire Dartmouth community. This Sunday, October 1, there will be a Memorial Service at Rollins at 3:00 p.m. While we grieve her loss, we are jolted into recognizing how precious and fragile life really is.

All of us will experience the loss of a loved one and all of us will have fleeting thoughts of suicide run across our consciousness. These are always serious moments.

We encourage you to talk about Sarah, her life, her death and share your thoughts and feelings with others. We understand that each of us grieve in our own way. Our beliefs, customs and unique styles affect what we think and how we share with others. There are many resources available at Dartmouth and elsewhere including friends and family, chaplains, faculty , deans, ORL and others.

The Counseling Center is available to meet with Dartmouth students who would like to talk individually and/or in groups about suicide, death and dying, grieving or anything of concern to you. We are located on the second floor of Dick's House and can be reached at 650-1442 or for after hour emergencies at 650-1440. We can arrange to meet with a group of students in the evening or at some place on campus other than Dick's House.

Grieving a loss is a process that takes time. The Counseling Center is one avenue to consider during this process.