June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Aires to release 'Buenos Aires' this week

"Buenos Aires," the Dartmouth Aires' latest album, has much more to offer its listeners than just a title.

Their tunes ring of foot-tapping humor, piercing emotion and everything in between. Plus, with a program brimming with a collection of 1980's classics, how could they ever go wrong?

"Basically, any song we normally do as part of a regular show, we consider for the album," said album manager, Daniel Gonzalez '96. "We spent about 30 hours total recording the album, and a couple more hours were spent mixing in the studio."

"Buenos Aires" features a full line-up of well-known hits including "You Can Call Me Al," "Swing Low," "Things Can Only Get Better," and "Tainted Love."But the album really takes off when the tenors step up to the mike, belting out "Sweet Janine," "Kiss From A Rose" and "Tears Of A Clown." Of course no one could forgive the group if they failed to perform that dormitory classic "My Name Is Not Merv Griffin."

The album is very professional in its layout and engineering.With the abundance of "da do do do's" and "ba dum dum dum's" swirling about the speakers, the lack of instrumental accompaniment goes unnoticed. Let the listener be aware: some of these a cappella tunes will follow you around all day if you listen too long. The snapping and tapping is very contagious.

"Buenos Aires'" last four tracks add some school spirit to the album. In addition to "Twilight Song" and "Dartmouth Undying," the Aires have included their renditions of "Alma Mater" and "Football Medley."

"I would say this is the best album the group has made in a long time. The amount of time we spent definitely paid off, there are very few errors, and the quality of the recording is really great," Gonzalez said.

"Buenos Aires" is truly addictive. The Aires have taken a top-notch campus routine and found a way to perfect it. They have assembled an admirable effort their audiences will surely applaud.

"Buenos Aires" was provided courtesy of the Dartmouth Aires.