A capella group mixes music with religious ideas

Hoping to turn some heads and spread their message, X. ADO, a newly formed a capella group on campus brings a unique brand of a capella music to Dartmouth this fall.

Unlike the other a capella groups on campus including the Aires, the Dodecaphonics, and Rockapellas, X. ADO was formed with more personal interests in mind -- to minister to those who love and follow Jesus Christ as their Saviour.

The "X," the Greek symbol "chi" which represents Christ, in words like X-mas, and "ado" meaning "to sing" are the words that make-up this still fledgling group of 11 singers. X.ADO means "those who praise the Lord Jesus Christ."

Begun under the leadership of Steve Park '98, Judy Yi '97, and Mi Ryung An '96, last Winter term, the group has only performed a few times on campus, Park said.

However, the group has already entertained two off-campus concerts. X.ADO participated in this summer's Yale University "Gospel Jam" and headlined for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology own gospel ensemble, Cross Products, Park said.

Started when Park and others realized that Dartmouth didn't have a capella venue for Christian music, X. ADO hopes to minister to students in a different way, Park said.

X. ADO joins about 30 schools who have a capella Christian groups, Park said.

Their mission statement which is taken from the Bible's gospel of Matthew states "God has given us this 'Great Commission.'

"X.ADO is a ministry that presents to the Dartmouth campus who Jesus Christ is through both Christian music and the members' lifestyles."

Park says the group is now seeking College recognition and hopes to perform regularly on campus.

The group also hopes to bring other theme oriented groups to the school and is tentatively planning a spring celebration of Christian music to be held at a local church.

The student group, which added two members last week after their tryouts, urges students to come out and watch, Park said. The group will be performing this Friday at Collis Common Ground.