Summer crew teams to row in Canadian Henleys

While the majority of Dartmouth athletes on campus this summer have taken a break from competition, the Big Green crew teams have been practicingin full force to prepare for the largest races they compete in all year--the Canadian Henleys.

"This is one of the biggest regattas in the world," women's crew Coach Barb Kirch said. "Just being in it is an experience. It is a value to anyone."

The Canadian Henleys, one of the most recognized major championships in the rowing arena, will begin tomorrow.

Approximately 35 Dartmouth students will be there, and they hope to continue competing through Sunday.

The competition, which features races for both intermediate and senior crews, will offer many different races for eightman boats, four-man boats and pairs. It will also feature a 500 meter dash.

With so many events to choose from, the Big Green athletes will find little time to rest during the five days of competition.

"Out of the race in Canada, the rowers will get between six and ten races in," heavyweight Coach Scott Armstrong said. "That's almost an entire season full of races in the spring."

Practicing all summer, Dartmouth rowers had valuable time on the water. With the river frozen four months out of the year, such practicing time is often hard to find.

"I think really the summer prepares us to race fast in the spring," Armstrong said. "During the summer we can get out on some of the best water down on the Connecticut and can get valuable training time that prepares us for our real championship season in the spring."

This time on the water combined with competing in the Henleys gives the Big Green rowers valuable experience.

At the race this weekend, Dartmouth will face elite competition.

"There will be a lot of developmental clubs which are similar to college all-star crews," lightweight Coach Dick Grossman said. "A lot of these clubs train two times a day just to gear up for this race. There are a lot of intense competitors."

The Lightweights

For the men's lightweight crews, 10 oarsmen and one coxswain will attend the race. They will all compete in various intermediate races which begin Wednesday morning.

"Because the intermediates are earlier it's difficult to some degree," Grossman said. "I have some rowers who can not go because of classes, but it is summer time so we really can't expect them to make some of the same sacrifices they would during season."

The lightweight men have been practicing with approximately one third of their total team since late June

Although slightly inexperienced, the hard work ethic of these rowers should make up for the lack of practice time.

"I think the people have really worked hard," Grossman said. "There has been an amount of dedication I haven't seen for years even thought we have less experience than past years."

As far as this weekend is concerned, the lightweight men hope to make it past qualifying events into the finals.

"We are relying completely on Dartmouth people to do the job for us," Grossman said. "We would like to do as well as we can. You have to look at the competition and the group of guys you have on campus."

"I think this group has been willing to work hard despite the fact they don't have the same amount of time to train as the other crews," he continued.

The Heavyweights

The men's heavyweight crew will be competing in both seniors and intermediate events and are also looking to make a major impacts.

The heavyweights will travel with 10 oarsmen and 2 coxswains including James Jerrad '97, who won last summer's U.S. National Championships. With his victory in a major championship, Jerrad will only be eligible for senior events.

"We try to predict the competition, but it's difficult," Armstrong said. "We'll be facing the best clubs around."

During the summer, the heavyweights have been practicing six days a week -- including three early morning practices per week.

Approximately one-half of their regular season team is on campus.

"It's been a challenge finding time to practice with all of the different schedules," Armstrong said. "I feel happy with the way practices have been going though. We've concentrated on small boats this summer, and I think that's helped."

Armstrong, a new father, said he will not be able to join his team at the races this weekend. But he said his team will be under the capable direction of Kirch and Grossman.

The Women

Finally, the women's crew will probably have the best opportunity to succeed in the Henleys. The Big Green, which features a remarkable group of '97 women, looks to place in the top six in senior competitions.

"My goal is to make the finals in the senior events," Kirch said. "We want to go for the best race we can get and row our best. I think if we can row a races that they feel is solid, we will have achieved our goals."

Racing in all senior events is somewhat unusual for the women, but because of the strength of the women rowers on campus this summer, Kirch said this step up in competition seemed logical.

"Circumstances just had us entering senior events which I'm looking at as optimistic," Kirch said. "We may be racing way above our heads, but we are looking forward to it."

This summer has been slightly unusual for the Big Green women rowers. Dartmouth was the sight for a U.S. National Development Camp which was coached by Kirch.

With top national rowers, including some of Dartmouth's own, training for the Olympic Festival, the Big Green women trained at a top notch level.

"I think having the camp here helped raise our standards an extra notch," Kirch said.

Because the '97 class is so strong, nearly all the women varsity rowers have been training this summer. Many of these women will be gone in the fall, so this summer will be the last time they train together until spring.

"The practices this summer have been just as intense as during the season," Kim Sanderson '96 said. "I think the focus has really been there which is important for this race."

"The '97s are a very strong, large class so this is really a great event to go to with them," Sanderson continued. "In comparison to last year, I think there are more people involved and they are a little more intense."

Because the women will be competing in all senior events, they will not leave for Canada until Thursday and will begin competing Friday morning.

With numerous women in lab sciences, this postponement relieved some of the academic pressures the women have had to overcome.

"It's a hard decision to make," Kirch said. "Some can leave, but others can't make that decision. You have to recognize what comes first. Each squad looks at the academic load, and you look at what you can do."

Most of the women did not want to miss out on the opportunity to compete in the race they have all been working toward for the past two months.

"Henley has been our goal this summer," Angie Rutherford '97 said. "It is suppose to be a really funregatta. There are a lot of people there and a lot of good competition."