Theater to be dedicated

A new theater will be dedicated Sunday to American publisher Henry Holt at the home of Robert Frost, Class of 1896.

The ceremony, sponsored by the College's English department, will feature the dedication of a combination barn and theater in recognition of Holt Publishers' contributions to preserve the Frost family home. Holt was Frost's publisher and lifelong friend.

"Because of Holt's response to Frost's poetry, Frost got his opportunity to become a major American poet," Classics and English Lecturer Donald Sheehan said in a press release. "And in large part because of Frost, Holt became a major American publisher."

New Hampshire poet Donald Hall will speak at the event, which begins at 3 p.m. at the Frost Place in Franconia, N.H.

The Frost Place is situated on eight acres and overlooks the White Mountains.

The picturesque setting served as the inspiration for several Frost poems including the famous "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."

The homestead continues to function as a center for the poetry and the arts in New England as a tribute to Frost.

Every summer the board of directors of the Frost Place invites a resident poet to live on the Frost homestead and receive a cash prize.

This year's summer resident, Luci Tapahonso, the author of four books of poetry, will speak at the ceremony.

Frost was an undergraduate at Dartmouth for only one year but maintained a strong connection to the College throughout his life. Baker Library Special Collections houses some ofthe poet's letters.