Sailing team competes at Nationals over break

The varsity sailing team recently returned fromits California trip where it competed in the National Collegiate Sailing Championships.

Aftera third place finishby the women's varsity crew at San Diego, Calif., the Big Green traveled north to Long Beach where the varsity A and B teams competed in the three day race.

The Big Green finished in fifth place on the third day, but following an appeal by another team, Dartmouth disappointingly dropp-ed to seventh.

"It was alright, but it really wasn't what we expected," Coach Brian Doyle said.

Dartmouth raced three boats in the competition. Blair Seidler '96 teamed with Brandon Prior '94 in the A division while Whitney Conner '95 and Carrey Clifford '95 competed in the B division along with Prior and Brook Parry '95.

The Big Green had hoped to finish in the top five, but after competing in 16 races in each division, the difficult conditions and lengthy travel proved tiring for the team.

"It's hard to go there and compete," Doyle said. "Not only do we have to travel so far, but the conditions are a lot different."

"There are bigger waves on the West Coast," Doyle continued, "andthereis a muchsteadier breeze so the boat speedbecomes much more ofa factor than power and mind tactics which is what we are better at."

Because of their performances, McDowell and Siedler received All-American honors for the fourth straight year.

Priorreceived honorable mention All-American while Clifford was named to theAll-American crew.

The Big Green athletes were selected by the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Associations' All-America Committee.

The committee based itsselection on the performances in the fall and spring seasons and results from the National Championships.