Opulauoho sees bright future for Student Assembly

Students on campus always have something good to say about Kelii Opulauoho '96, proven by his landslide victory in the student assembly vice presidential election this spring.

Opulauoho was elected vice-president of the Student Assembly by 44 percent of the vote. More students voted for Opulauoho than any other presidential or vice-presidential candidate.

But he said the Assembly vice-presidency was only a natural step in his commitment to the Dartmouth community.

Armed with an unwieldly last name, Opulauoho said, "I think I'm a pretty happy, easy to approach presence on the campus, and I'm fairly involved."

"Fairly involved" is an understatement.

In addition to being a member of the marching band, Opulauoho also plays the cello in the Dartmouth Symphony Orchestra and the Honor String Quartet.

He will act as president of the Chamber Singers next year, and he can also be heard singing with the Dodecaphonics, the campus' coed a capella group.

Opulauoho prides himself on his extensive involvement in community service. He actively participates in the Tucker Foundation, the Leadership Discovery Program, mediation workshops, Native Americans at Dartmouth and the Programming Board.

In addition, Opulauoho is also a member of the Interracial Concerns Committee and the Green Key Society.

After all that, Opulauoho still found time to be vice-president of Sigma Nu fraternity and the Area Coordinator for the River Cluster last year.

Opulauoho said people think he's "probably a very involved person who doesn't look like he has time to study."

But he said he manages to maintain his studying despite his jam-packed schedule, so sleep usually goes on the back-burner until the weekend arrives and gives him a chance to "revitalize."

"You're in [the Dartmouth community], but you can also choose to affect it or just let it go as it's going to go," Opulauoho said. "I think that most of the positions that I've taken or the organizations I've been in or joined lead me to be affecting that community."

"I care a lot about community and how people enjoy being here and that's what I really like," he said.

"If people enjoy being here then you're doing the right thing," he added.

He said he is very satisfied with his Dartmouth experience. He said he only regretted not having started to take a more active role earlier in shaping his own Dartmouth experience and not just following the established structures.

Opulauoho said it is important for next year's freshmen to carve their own niche at the College.

"Be sure of what you're doing and why you're doing it makes you fulfilled ... if running around the bonfire 99 times isn't going to make you happy, then don't do it and find something else that will," he said.