Larsen '97 named to All-Ivy team

Football News, an insider collegiate football publication, named Big Green offensive lineman Brian Larsen '97 to the preseason All-Ivy team, along with 11 other offensive players.

Even though the first Ivy-League kickoff is still two months away, the roster put out last week by 'Football News' indicates that the 1995 football season has begun to take shape.

Despite a disastrous 2-5 record in the Ivy League, 4-6 overall, placing them last in the Ivy League for the first time ever last year, the Big Green were somewhat surprised at having only one player named to the preseason team, because of their strong record over the last 10 years.

The Big Green will be looking to avenge last season and return to its more customary winning patterns established from 1991-1994, when Dartmouth won three straight Ivy League Championships.

To achieve success though, the Big Green will have to overcome last year's champion, the University of Pennsylvania, which had three defenders and one wide receiver named to the preseason team.

With three defenders and two offensive players named to the preseason team, Cornell is also predicted to be a top contender in the League, while arch-rival Princeton will play an important role, as always, in the run for the title.

"These preseason things are often before the fact," Coach John Lyons said of the All-Ivyroster. "It is surprising we only had one player, but I think by the end of the season, we'll have more than just Brian."

Being named to the preseason team was especially notable since Larsen was injured for four games last year. During the Big Green's third game of the season against Lafayette, a defensive player fell on Larsen breaking his foot.

After extensive rehabilitation in the training room, Larsen worked his way through the injury and finished the season with the Big Green as a starting offensive lineman.

"Brian has the ability to be one of the best offensive lineman in the League," Lyons said. "I think being named to the team speaks highly of him since he was injured for a large part of last year's season."

For his part, Larsen said the injury is behind him.

"Obviously the injury was disappointing, but it's naturally part of the game," Larsen said. "It was a painful injury, but I've spent time working with the trainers to get it better so I can play. Right now it feels good."

Although official practices can not begin until late August, Larsen along with the other players on campus this summer are meeting regularly to weight train and run.

Larsen, who was one of four juniors named to the All-Ivy team, will be joined by another junior, Greg Smith, who is transferring to Dartmouth from the University of Missouri this fall.

Dartmouth will look for Smith, a running back recruited by the Big Green two years ago, to make an immediate impact on the Big Green offense.

"He has the ability to be a very good player," Lyons said. "We were glad he decided to come here."

For now, goals have begun to linger in the minds of the Big Green players. "We want to win the Ivy League Championship," Larsen said.