Freedman resumes presidency

College President James Freedman returned to Hanover on Thursday following his six-month sabbatical, which he spent writing a book about liberal arts education at Harvard University.

"It was wonderful in every respect," Freedman said about his sabbatical, which he spent in Cambridge, Mass. "But I am raring to get back."

Freedman said he is feeling fine adding the cancer with which he was diagnosed in April, 1994, is currently in remission. Freedman received chemotherapy treatment for his illness at Massachusetts General Hospital.

"The medical reports are all fine -- that's good news," he said yesterday, appearing robust and in fine spirits.

Freedman finished his most recent book, "Idealism and Liberal Education" during his sabbatical, and the University of Michigan Press will publish it in January of 1996, he said in a previous interview with The Dartmouth.

In addition, Freedman used the sabbatical to read, rest and socialize with old friends.

Freedman said he returned to his Parkhurst office on Saturday but Dean of the Faculty James Wright, who served as acting-president in Freedman's absence, had left no unfinished business for him to attend to.

The sabbatical was Freedman's first extended period away from work since 1976-77, when he was teaching at the University of Pennsylvania Law School.

During his sabbatical, Freedman did return to campus periodically.He made a special trip up to Hanover on June 11 for Commencement and said he thought it was a "thrilling day."

"I was delighted that President Clinton wanted to shake hands with all of the graduates," Freedman said. "He leaned over at one point and asked me if it would be okay."

"I said absolutely. It really was quite a moment," he said.

Freedman said he was very happy with Clinton's address which stressed the importance of education.

"I liked the fact that it wasn't a political address," Freedman said. Clinton "really tried to speak to the graduates."

Freedman also had his share of the limelight during his time away from the College, by appearing on local television.

Freedman expressed his views on campus trends, college administration and the transition from academic to political life last February when he appeared on "Beyond Politics," a television show produced by an ABC affiliate in Manchester.

Wright was unavailable for comment yesterday.