Dartmouth athletic teams are open to all freshmen

For students not recruited to a Big Green athletic team, there are still many ways to get involved in Dartmouth sports, most of which are not as difficult as you might think.

"For anyone who wants the opportunity to try-out, that chance is given to them," Associate Director of Athletics Jo Ann Harper said.

Although most of Dartmouth's teams are primarily recruited, all teams consist of some walk-ons, Harper said. Different teams have different policies regarding walk-ons, she added.

Harper stressed since the College does not give athletic scholarships, "being recruited" just means coaches have contacted prospective athletes about joining a team at Dartmouth.

Harper said football tends to be among the most heavily recruited teams. On the other hand crew, one of Dartmouth's largest teams, consists mainly of walk-ons.

"The best advice, generally speaking, for a freshman interested in joining a team, is to come see the coach immediately," Harper said. "Before they get here, it is also a good idea to send the coach a letter expressing interest in joining an athletic team."

Matt Burke '98 is one of the only walk-ons on the football team. Although recruited by other schools, he decided to come to Dartmouth, but not necessarily for its football.

He contacted the coaches after his decision, spoke to them about joining the team and began attending practices.

"It was tough being a walk-on," Burke said. "All of the other players had already been practicing for three weeks, and I was the new kid. But the coaches were really supportive and the guys were really nice. They are some of my closest friends now."

Try-outs vary depending on the team. Some teams have two or three day regular try-out periods, while others have more informal try-outs where interested athletes sit-in on practices and meetings, Harper said.

"I just saw posters for a meeting for crew, so I went and took it from there," said Andy Smith '98, a member of the freshman crew team.

Crew try-outs were "more of a survival period. Forty-five people started, but only 25 or so survived."

Dave Smith '98, another member of the freshman crew team said, "I just talked to the coaches once I got here and became interested in rowing crew."

Stan Weinberger '98 became a member of the cross-country ski team after talking with the ski coach during orientation week.

Although many members of the Dartmouth ski team have competed in the Olympics, there is also a development team. There are no formal try-outs and no one is cut from the development team.

Still, the development and varsity teams often ski together and both attend the races, Weinberger said.

"After talking with the coach, I saw that the ski team was accessible even if you weren't recruited," he said.

In the summer, the athletic department sends out a listing of the names and telephone numbers of the coaches as well as cards which ask what teams any freshmen may consider joining.