Grad schools to award this weekend

It is often overlooked that undergraduates are not the only students receiving degrees at Commencement -- the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration, the Thayer School of Engineering and the Dartmouth Medical School each have graduate students who will be receiving their degrees this weekend.

Each of the graduate schools will have its own investiture ceremony before Commencement.

On Sunday morning, the Dartmouth Medical School will hold its Class Day and Awards Ceremony on the lawn in front of the medical school. As part of the ceremonies, the graduates will have their hoods conferred on them.

The occasion will be presided over by DMS Dean Andrew J. Wallace, DMS Assistant Dean of Student Affairs Sue Hennessy said.

DMS graduate Dr. Myles N. Sheehan was selected by the student body to be the guest speaker at the event.

Sheehan is an instructor of medicine and the director of geriatric curriculum development at the Harvard Medical School. His planned address is titled "Medicine and Mercy."

There will be 66 M. D. candidates who will recite the Hippocratic Oath, according to Hennessy.

French Professor John Rassias will say the oath in its original Greek language and discuss its history during the ceremony.

"He's done it for several years. It's a tradition," Hennessy said.The DMS Dermatones, a new a capella group formed by DMS students, will perform at the ceremony, which will be followed immediately by a reception.

Graduating students at the medical school will receive degrees in three different areas, according to Hennessy.

In addition to the M.D. candidates, who will wear green hoods, 19 of the graduates will have completed their degrees in the life sciences and earn their dark blue hoods, while 30 students will graduate from the masters program in the evaluative clinical sciences with golden-yellow hoods, Hennessy said.

Tuck will hold its investiture ceremony at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.

One-hundred-and-seventy-nine graduate students will receive nugget colored hoods on the lawn in front of the Tuck building. All Tuck graduates will receive Masters of Business Administration degrees at Commencement.

"There will also be the presentation of the academic awards and the recognition of the Edward Tuck scholars," said Patricia Palmiotto, the Director of Student Affairs at Tuck. Tuck scholars are chosen for their academic accomplishments and are voted on by the faculty, Palmiotto said.

The keynote speaker will be Susan Dentzer '73. Dentzer is the chief economist for U.S. News and World Report and a current member of the Dartmouth Board of Trustees.

Tuck Dean Paul Danos will also speak.

William DeRoche was chosen by the Tuck student body to be the student speaker for the Class of 1995.

Thayer will have about 100 students graduating. At its investiture and awards ceremony before Commencement, the graduates will receive black and orange-trimmed hoods. Ten undergraduate students will receive both their Bachelor of Arts and their Bachelor of Engineering degrees, according to Thayer administrative assistant Daryl Laware.

"We've never had 10 before," Laware said. "Usually the number is closer to three or four."

The guest speaker at the investiture ceremony is Myron Tribus, Dean of Thayer from 1961 to 1969. He will be the recipient of the 1995 Robert Fletcher Award, the highest honor given by Thayer in recognition of distinction in engineering.

While at the school, Tribus was responsible for redesigning the curriculum in a style that has remained virtually unchanged for the past 25 years. He left to join the U.S. Department of Labor as an assistant director and then later became an administrative director at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.