Big Green sailors to compete at nationals

Eight Dartmouth sailors ended their Spring term early yesterday morning as they flew to California to compete in nationals over the next two weekends.

The Big Green qualified two crews to compete in the women's nationals today through Sunday in San Diego. Three crews will compete the next weekend in the varsity nationals.

"We are very, very excited about going," Blair Siedler '96 said. "We'll have to see how the weather is and what happens, but I think we stand a good shot at doing well."

Siedler will team with Chris McDowell '94 to represent the Big Green in the Varsity A division next weekend. In the Varsity B division, Whitney Connor '95 and Carey Clifford '95 will be one crew, while Brandon Prior '95 and Brook Parry '95 will make up the second crew.

Connor and Clifford will also compete in the Women's A division while freshman Heather Melanson will team with either Catherine Passano '98 or Leigh Lucas '98 to represent the Big Green in the Women's B division.

"Whitney is one of the top women's sailors in the country," Siedler said. "They have a very good chance to do well, but it depends on the conditions because there are so many variables at regattas."

Because Dartmouth is a relatively light team, windy conditions are a major concern; they make maneuvering the boat more difficult for crews with less weight.

At the Northeast qualifiers a few weeks ago, the Big Green suffered a disappointing third place finish in the team racing division because of such winds.

"We are just very light compared to teams like Army," Siedler said. "There were not normal conditions at qualifiers, and the other boats were over 50 pounds heavier than us."

Despite this disappointment, Dartmouth did qualify boats in the women's and varsity competition. In those divisions, the Big Green look to do very well this next week.

"Our goal is to win it," Coach Brian Doyle said. "We're in a good position to do so, too. We need to have the right conditions, and we need to keep sailing like we have been."

With two returning All-Americans, Connor and McDowell, the Big Green have the experience needed to capture a national title, but sailing in new conditions may create difficulties for Dartmouth.

In San Diego, the crews will be sailing in a harbor so the conditions will be similar to the conditions at Lake Mascoma, which is where the team practices daily while in Hanover.

But, when the team travels north to Long Beach where the Varsity Nationals are to be held, the sailing conditions will change.

"Long Beach will have a lot of waves," Doyle said. "We haven't really practiced sailing in waves since lakes don't have to many, so it could be difficult."

But between the women's and varsity competition Dartmouth will have one week to practice in the ocean. Fortunately for the Big Green, a recruit from the Class of 1999 lives on the coast and will be arranging practices for the crews next week.

The Dartmouth sailors have more than ocean conditions to worry about, as many will be taking final exams while in California.Because the crews left a week-and-a-half before the term ends, tests will be mailed or faxed to the Big Green sailors in California.

"It shouldn't be too much of a problem," Prior said. "I think most got a lot of the work done early, and the tests are all based on the honor code anyway."