Baseball beats Holy Cross 7-5

The Dartmouth baseball team extended its season-ending winning streak to six games yesterday afternoon, defeating Holy Cross 7-5 to complete its first winning season since 1990.

The victory gave the Big Green a final record of 19-17, sparked by the six-game streak, the team's longest since 1990.

Dartmouth came out hitting, blasting Holy Cross starting pitcher Bill McElligott for five runs in the first inning. McElligott lasted only an inning and a third, taking the loss.

Jake Isler '96 blew the game open in the first, knocking in three runs with a bases-clearing double. Isler went 3-5 with a single, double, triple and four RBIs for the afternoon.

Two more runs in the fourth, including an RBI triple from Isler, knocking in Andrew Spencer '97, who was 3-5 on the afternoon.

Holy Cross tried to make a game of it, tallying three times in the second, but sputtering for the rest of the game, scoring a single run in the fourth and seventh innings.

Dartmouth starter Scott Simon '97 went eight innings for the victory, giving up five earned runs and striking out four.

Eric Walania '98 cleaned up the ninth, earning the save.

Other notable performances at the plate came from designated hitter Travis Horton '96, who went 2-5 with a pair of RBI's and co-Captain Greg Gilmer '95 who was 2-4.

Dartmouth finished the season at 12-8 in the Ivy League, good for second place in the Red Rolfe Division behind Yale. It is Dartmouth'sbest League record since 1987 when the team went 14-2 to win first place.