Women's tennis loses season opener

The unranked Dartmouth women's tennis team opened its spring season at home Saturday, at Leverone Field House,against the number four team in the East, the Boston University Terriers, Saturday at Leverone Field House.

The Big Green ended up losing five points to two in the overall scoring, dropping their record to 0-1.

Dartmouth went into the match uncertain of how it would perform. The fall season is composed mainly of individual tournaments, with only one player going to a tournament. The doubles team had also been revamped from the fall season and about half of the team had been off this winter. Although the team had a strong training trip in Florida over spring break, they were going up against one of the strong teams in the area.

Dartmouth began the day on a winning note. The success was a pleasant surprise for the Big Green. Although they faced strong competition from Boston, Deb Healy '95 and Tracy Lee '98 beat the Terrier's Heidi Steiber-Kerry Staken 8-6. Captain Kiyoe Hashimoto '95and Kallie Buehler '97 defeated Ambert Caisse and Susan Taub, also by an 8-6 margin.

Despite sweeping doubles play, the Big Green fell behind in their six singles matches. Boston University ended up taking five of the six matches. However, the matches were much closer than the scores indicate, with Lee, Buehler and Trudy Muller '96 taking their Boston opponents to three sets.

Both Lee and Buehler opened their matches by taking the first set, before losing the next two sets. Hashimoto fell in straignt sets, 4-6, 3-6.

Freshman Katie Kirkmire gave the Big Green their only singles victory of the day, defeating Boston's Elizabeth Clay in three sets.

Dartmouth travels to Penn and Columbia next weekend, looking for its first win of the season. Despite losing, the effort gives the Big Green a good stepping stone against Pennslyvania. Their strong showing proves their ability. It will be a far more certain team that plays the Quakers and the Lions this weekend.