Trustees arrive today for spring meetings

The College's Board of Trustees will arrive this afternoon for a quiet Spring-term meeting, where they will elect a new Alumni Trustee, College spokesman Alex Huppe said.

Jonathan Newcomb '68 was elected by the College's alumni to serve on the Board. If the Trustees approve the selection, Newcomb will fill the spot vacated by Ann Fritz Hackett '76 in June.

There are 16 members on the Board: seven "Alumni" Trustees chosen by the College's alumni and seven "Charter" Trustees selected by the Board itself. The College President and the Governor of New Hampshire hold ex-officio seats.

The Trustees will also formally approve honorary degrees to be given at the College's Commencement ceremonies in June.

U. S. President Bill Clinton will be the keynote speaker and will receive an honorary doctor of laws degree, the White House announced last month. Eight other figures are also scheduled to receive honorary degrees, including Sidney Altman, a Nobel laureate in chemistry and United States Poet Laureate Rita Dove.

The Trustees will also conduct routine meetings that are usually a part of each visit, such as voting on the promotion and tenure appointments of professors.

Three professors are scheduled to appear before the Board to apply for promotion and tenure, Acting Dean of the Faculty Karen Wetterhahn said. She declined to release the names of the professors.

The Board will hear reports from each of its four standing committees, including the Committee on Student Affairs and the Committee on Development, Alumni and Public Affairs, said Cheryl Reynolds, the secretary to the Board of Trustees.

Student Assembly President Rukmini Sichitiu '95 will address COSA. She declined to comment what she would say.

College Vice President and Treasurer Lyn Hutton, the agenda officer of the Trustees' Committee on Finance, will meet with the Board on Friday to discuss the College's budget for the 1996 fiscal year, according to Associate Treasurer Win Johnson.

Johnson said representatives from the Treasurer's office have met with the Board continually since the initial budget was proposed last November.

He said the College and the Board will work to make "further progress" on the budget, which he said will most likely be finalized at the next Board meeting in June.

"The presentation of the budget at this meeting will be close to what is finally adopted," Johnson said. "Unless there are any major differences, what is described in April will be pretty much what is adopted in June."

The Board will also meet with the Committee on Educational Affairs and Facilities, of which College Provost Lee Bollinger is the agenda officer.

Members of the Board will also take time out of their schedule to meet with students in residence halls at 8 p.m. tonight. The Trustees will converse with students over dessert in the lounges of Fayerweather, French, South Massachusetts and Zimmerman Halls.

The Office of Residential Life invited about 35 students to participate in the conversations with the Trustee members.

The main issue that will be discussed is students' concerns with the housing crunch, but the discussion will be open to other matters students may bring up.

The Board will also make a payroll account signatory vote, which will specify which administrators have certain powers to manage the funds in College bank accounts. The last time the vote was taken was March 22, 1991, Huppe said.