June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Tokyo String Quartet to perform classical works tonight

Described as "breathtaking," "spectacular," and "intense" by critics worldwide, The Tokyo String Quartet has gradually earned a reputation of being one of the most talented groups of classical musicians around. But to hear the Quartet with clarinet virtuoso Richard Stoltzman is a different musical experience altogether.

Based in New York, the musicians in the Quartet are currently in the process of performing the complete Beethoven string quartet cycle in a two-year, worldwide project.

The Quartet has come a long way since it was founded in 1969. For the first 12 years, it was a relatively homogenous group: all the members were natives of Japan and were conservatory trained at the Julliard School and the Toho School in Japan.

In 1981, a Canadian first violinist, Peter Oundijan, joined the Quartet. Since then, their popularity and recognition has grown to the point that they are now one of the most sought-after quartets today.

Their playing style has also evolved into more daring and spontaneous, qualities which a natural outgrowth of the superb musicianship in the ensemble. They derive their strength from unity and an almost telepathic sense of communication that exists between them. The Washington Post commented, "Not merely in balance, but in intimate details, in phrasing, and that kind of breathing together that the best quartets achieve, their playing had all the marks of greatness."

Stoltzman, who is also an accomplished jazz musician, last performed at Dartmouth in 1976. He is perhaps best known for experimenting with possibilities for his instrument that were thought to be impossible. He has appeared as a soloist with more than 100 orchestras and has performed with jazz greats such as bassist Eddie Gomez and pianists Keith Jarrett and George Shearing.

Stoltzman adopts an uninhibited approach to music in general, which shows in his diverse experience. Recently, he commissioned Toru Toakemitsu's "Fantasma/Cantos," which were written for him in 1991 and concertos composed by composers such as Lukas Foss, William Thomas McKinley and Einar Englund.

Stoltzman will be featured on Brahms' "Clarinet Quintet in B Minor," one of Brahms' most extraordinary of four chamber works he wrote for clarinet. Also on the program is Mozart's "String Quartet No.1" a portrayal of love's passion and tragedy based on "The Kreutzer Sonata," Tolstoy's tale of marital unhappiness and infidelity.

Stoltzman and the Quartet have performed together in the past with brilliant results. Their first performance together at Dartmouth is sure to be one of the highlights of the Spring term.

Tickets for the 8 p.m. concert are available at the Hopkins Center Box Office during regular hours. They are $18.50 for reserved seats and $10.50 for all Dartmouth students.