June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

'Seinfeld,' 'E.R.'?A question some ask

Every Thursday night around 9, Dartmouth students interrupt their diligent studying to make a weekly pilgrimage to their cluster television rooms, lured by the hope of procrastination, socializing and, of course, free food.

They gather for a Dartmouth institution as quintessential as a cappella groups and Sunday night cramming -- the "Seinfeld" study break.

But even "Dartmouth institutions" can change.

This winter, the River cluster switched its study breaks from the hit comedy to the drama "E.R.," becoming the first cluster to make the big switch.

"We changed to 'E.R.' because it was our impression that the show had become more popular than 'Seinfeld,' at least among the residents in the River," Undergraduate Advisor Dave Hemmer '96 said. "Some people had complained that Seinfeld was growing stale."

This week's Neilsen's rank "Seinfeld" first, with a 19.3 rating share, and "E.R" second with a 17.4 share. Each rating share represents 954,000 households.

"E.R." fan Mark Hoagland '98 said since the switch, more people have come to the weekly study break.

"I love the switch, except for the fact that it's hard to get a seat now," said Hoagland, who is a River Cluster resident. "Before it was just Courtney [Jacobs '98] and I, and sometimes a few others but now there are about 20 to 30 people there."

Hemmer said the crowds for the "E.R." study breaks this term have been about the same size as the "Seinfeld" study breaks of days past.

"There are definitely people who come for 'Seinfeld' and leave after it's over, and then there are some who only come for 'E.R,' " Hemmer said.

The only other residence cluster that currently holds "E.R." study breaks is East Wheelock.

"I choose to do 'E.R.' study breaks for two reasons," UGA Haskins Hobson '95 said. "I am busy on Thursday nights with Thursday Night Fellowship until 9:45 and 'E.R.' fans are devoted, not unlike 'Seinfeld' watchers, I might add."

"So, twice a term, East Wheelock has 'E.R.' study breaks -- which I think is a much more mentally-engaging show," he said.

But Hobson admitted more students probably watch "Seinfeld" or "Friends" because each show is 30 minutes, and "much lighter in subject matter." "E.R." is one hour long.

Josh Papsdorf '98, cluster representative for the Fayerweathers, said his cluster still holds "Seinfeld" breaks.

"There has never been any thought of changing it to 'E.R.,' " he said. "A lot of people stick around to watch them after 'Seinfeld,' but 'Seinfeld' is still the main attraction."

But Hemmer, who called the programming change "proactive, rather than reactive," said "E.R." could be the "study break choice of the future."

"It's my impression that 'E.R.' is still gaining popularity among the students, while 'Seinfeld' may be beginning its slow decline," Hemmer said. "We like to think we're ahead of our time regarding television in the River ... at least for study breaks."

River Cluster resident and "Seinfeld" fan Marisa Howe '98 said people come to the study break not to watch the show, but to eat the food.

"Frankly, I think as long as Dartmouth students know of impending food for them, they're not going to really care when it is," she said. "I know I certainly don't mind waiting until halfway through 'Friends.' "

"There seems to be quite a contingent of 'E.R.' watchers -- about equal to those for 'Seinfeld,' " she added. "So it would seem that 'ER' study breaks are just as popular -- with or without food."

Todd Wittman '98 is one student who has stuck to watching "Seinfeld."

"I usually come down for 'Seinfeld' and stay to watch 'Friends' right afterwards," he said. "Since the food comes around 9:45, I still get to snack while watching TV, even if I don't stay for 'E.R.' All the same though, I'd like the study break to be during 'Seinfeld.' "