Police charge senior with sexual assault of freshman

Hanover Police arrested a Dartmouth senior yesterday and charged him with sexually assaulting a 17-year-old freshman woman.

Vikram Srimurthy '95 was arrested in his room in North Hall Thursday morning at 10:40. He faces a misdemeanor sexual assault charge. He was released on $1,500 bail and personal recognizance. He is scheduled to appear in court Feb. 8.

Srimurthy allegedly went to the victim's room to help her with a computer problem on Tuesday.

A Hanover Police press release said Srimurthy allegedly engaged in "inappropriate and unwanted touching of the victim's body."

The police did not release the name of the victim.

Srimurthy declined to comment on the charge when reached at Phi Tau coed fraternity last night.

Srimurthy was working at Kiewit Computation Center at the beginning of the term but was suspended from all duties as soon as Kiewit learned of the alleged incident, said Malcolm Browne, director of academic computing.

Browne said Kiewit tells all of its student employees never to leave the building to go help someone with a computer problem.

The police said they do not consider Srimurthy dangerous, but view the alleged offense as serious because "this was the first time they had met each other."

Srimurthy's arrest occurred two months after a female allegedly awoke in her room in the River Cluster to find an unidentified male in her bed, with his pants down and a condom wrapper on the floor.

The investigating Hanover Police officers, Sergeant Frank Moran and Detective Danny Luther, could not be reached for comment last night.