June 3, 2024 | Latest Issue

New faculty adjust to Hanover

With all of the resources at a professor's fingertips in a major metropolis, it is difficult to image a professor moving from a major university in the heart of Chicago or New York and coming to rural New Hampshire.

But after a short time at Dartmouth, many of the new professors who started working at the College in the last two years say they have made the adjustment and are happy at Dartmouth.

Spanish Professor Agnes Lugo-Ortiz, who previously taught at Northwestern University in Chicago, said she was concerned she would feel isolated in Hanover.

But she said her reservations abated once she discovered a strong sense of community at Dartmouth. In fact, she now says she felt lonelier in Chicago.

"In a place like Dartmouth, the academic community becomes important as well as the colleagues. Here there is a lot more interaction because of the small size. And there is definitely more of a community here," said Lugo-Ortiz, who came to Dartmouth this fall.

"There are real colleagues with whom you can really share your work and what's going on in the world, so you never really feel isolated," she added.

Acting Dean of Faculty Karen Wetterhahn said she does not find it difficult to recruit new professors to work at the College.

Wetterhahn said some qualities unique to Dartmouth, like its smaller size and rural location actually help to attract new faculty members.

Dartmouth's reputation for having professors committed to both teaching and research and having strong faculty-student interaction also work to the College's advantage, Wetterhahn said.

One of the bad parts about Dartmouth's isolated position is the commuter plane flight in from Boston or New York, and many new professors said they are a little apprehensive about flying in small commuter planes.

"I'm not too fond of the commuter flights here -- and their cost. So if it's relatively close I'll drive. But if it's too far I'd usually take the shuttle to Boston and go from there," new Computer Science Professor Prasad Jayanti said.

Environmental Studies Professor Carol Goldburg said she chose to come to Dartmouth because of its liberal-arts focus.

"I chose to be where students have a wide variety of knowledge in different fields which they could bring into class," she said. Dartmouth is the first liberal arts school where Goldberg has taught.

Many professors said their move to Dartmouth has been made easier by students. Jayanti said his students motivate him to work.

"The students are enthusiastic and have a high level of curiosity," he said. "They also seem to have a lot of love for learning -- and I am encouraged by this."

Perhaps the most difficult adjustments are made by professors from foreign countries and new professors teaching for the first time.

Earth Sciences Professor Xiahong Feng, a native of Beijing and a first-time professor, said preparation time for classes is overwhelming compared to her days as a student.

And transition to life in the Upper Valley has been quite difficult, she said.

"You just don't find too many Chinese grocery stores in Hanover," Feng said.

This is just the second year of teaching for Jayanti, who joined the Computer Science department in 1993. He immigrated to the United States from India in 1984 and recently completed his Ph.D. at Cornell University.

Jayanti said he has found the transition from "advisee to advisor" to be both difficult and confusing.

"I definitely feel different being called 'Professor' instead of 'Prasad,'" Jayanti said.

"So much time is used up that you forget about the adjustment problems and other problems you have. But when I have some time to think, I realize that I really miss certain things."

Jayanti said he does not feel isolated being at Dartmouth because easy access to the "information superhighway" via the computer network and the College's extensive library system more than compensate for the College's rural location.

Many professors expressed equal praise for the nature and peace of the Upper Valley region.

"Natural beauty adds to the human mind and introspection. This is very conducive to learning and thinking," Jayanti said.

Some international professors also said they are concerned about being able to keep in contact with their cultural background while living in the Upper Valley.

Jayanti said he has found it difficult at Dartmouth and in the Upper Valley to meet and interact with people of his own ethnic background.

One thing new professors did not have a problem with was finding housing. Even during the student housing crunch of the fall, new professors found it relatively easy to find housing.

, with the majority living in the faculty apartments on North Street.

"They are wonderful -- accessible, convenient, quiet, and well kept," Goldburg said.

But almost all the new professors commented that the rooms of the apartments were too small and the that rent is very expensive.