Glee club performs 'A weekend in the country'

A powerful count pursues his employee's fiancee; three spirits prevent a heartsick young woman from suicide; an engaged woman backs out of her wedding at the last minute; a painter is torn by the idea of life passing him by, as part of him is always consumed in the details of his paintings; and a woman wants someone to make her angry or sad or confused or frustrated so that she knows she is alive.

These are just several of the stories offered in "A Weekend in the Country," a performance of Mozart's and Donizetti's operatic scenes and a revue of Stephen Sondheim's work in musical theater.

The show was performed by 14 trained voices from the Glee Club, including guest artist Brandon Adams '93, also the choreographer of the program.

The unique combination of a classical opera giant like Mozart and contemporary musical theater master Stephen Sondheim proved to be both entertaining and interesting.

Though it seems unconventional to combine the two musical genres, the singers handled the diverse musical material with solid control and technique. The Mozart pieces, in fact, provided a firm basis for the rest of the musical material.

Since the opera scenes from "The Marriage of Figaro," "Don Pasquale," and "The Magic Flute," were all performed in English, the audience was able to better grasp what was going on, as well as understanding the subtleties of the jokes and plot details involved in each scenario.

In the intimate setting of the Warner Bentley Theater it was easy to pick up the amusing facial expressions of the singers, adding a personal touch to the operatic scenes which may be harder to achieve in large, traditional opera houses.

Although the style of music shifted in the second half of the program from late 18th/early 19th century opera to the 20th century musical theater of Stephen Sondheim, the performers' command of support and voice control in the songs continued to lend a refined and professional quality to the Sondheim revue.

The program included some of Sondheim's more humorous songs such as "Not Getting Married Today" from "Company" and "Agony" from "Into the Woods." A full range of emotions was covered in the revue, not only in the songs but also in the performers' interpretations of the songs.

Several of the particularly powerful numbers were "Not A Day Goes By," sung by Jane Anne McCoy '95, "Send in the Clowns," sung by Itir Sayin '95, "Being Alive," sung by Kirsten Teaney '95, and "Finishing the Hat," sung by Brandon Adams '93.

Glee Club director Louis Burkot directed the program, guest artist Ron Luchsinger devised the movement in the opera scenes, and guest artist Daniel Weiser provided piano accompaniment.

Inspired by the musical and lyrical intelligence of Mozart and Sondheim, the performers, directors, and creators of "A Weekend in the Country" have put in hard work and effort to produce a thoroughly enjoyable show.