D'Artagnan to close Nov. 13 due to lease

The nationally renowned French restaurant D'Artagnan will close Nov. 13 because it was unable to re-negotiate its contract with the company that owns the building in which it operates.

Peter Gaylor and Rebecca Cunningham have owned and managed D'Artagnan for the past 13 years and have seen the Lyme, N.H. restaurant turn into a favorite place for Dartmouth students and their parents. They are also the chefs.

Gaylor said the Bayson Company, which owns the building, has refused to offer a long-term lease. "The lease has expired and no long-term lease is available," he said.

He added that he would rather close D'Artagnan during the high season, when the restaurant is making money, and then wait until the low season to take care of staff and other concerns.

In 1992 Conde Naste Traveler magazine ranked D'Artagnan among the top 50 restaurants in the United States

D'Artagnan offers French-derived cuisine highlighted by such specialties as rack of lamb, grilled tuna salad and a popular Chocolate truffle.

"The closing of D'Artagnan will be a great loss to the region," said Richard DuMez Jr., manager of restaurant and beverage operations at the Hanover Inn. "We're always disappointed when any restaurant closes especially such a landmark restaurant like D'Artagnan," he added.