United Way kicks off campaign

The United Way of Dartmouth College will kick off its 1994 campaign next Tuesday to raise $146,000 for the benefit of local health and social service agencies.

The campaign will formally begin with a traditional solicitor luncheon beginning at noon on Tuesday in Alumni Hall in the Hopkins Center. Honorary UWDC Chair Bathsheba Freedman is one of the scheduled speakers.

The College's goal represents 21 percent of the $695,000 goal set by the United Way of the Upper Valley, of which the UWDC is a central component.

To date, UWDC has raised about $36,000, or 24.7 percent of its goal, through early solicitation of leave-term faculty and pacesetter donors (those pledging $250 or more). UWDC Chair Rick Adams said this money will provide a "solid base" for the campaign.

The United Way of the Upper Valley donates funds to local agencies such as developmental centers, child care services, family services, crisis intervention programs and senior centers.

Adams has worked on the campaign's steering committee for four years and on the Board of Directors for three. This is his first year as campaign chair.

The UWUV has been operating since 1972, Adams said. He said he feels confident about this year's goals because of the enthusiasm and endless energy of the student committee and other solicitors.

"The last couple of years it's been down a bit. There have been a number of issues that have been facing United Way the last couple of years," Adams said, alluding to several controversies that have had an adverse effect on the United Way's revenue.

Three years ago, the former United Way of America president was implicated in a scandal and later indicted and fired for his alleged illegal operating practices and mismanagement. This led to a dramatic turnover and restructuring in the organization.

Two years ago a UWUV equity committee told several Boy Scouts of America councils funded by United Way agencies that they would be ineligible for further funding support unless the organizations ended their policy prohibiting gay members and scout leaders from joining.

"For the first time in a couple of years we've got issues settled. We can concentrate on the good work that United Way does rather than some of these other issues that have hindered our ability to help folks," Adams said.

This year's goal is based on a slightly higher percentage of the amount that was raised last year, although the actual amount for this year is somewhat lower than last year's original goal of $152,000.

The campaign made requests to the chair of every College department and program and asked that one person serve as a solicitor for the United Way for that department. This person will distribute pledge cards to all the other members of the department.

Solicitors are asked to return pledge cards by November 23, the day before Thanksgiving.

"This year we're doing a lot more with student campaigning than we have in the past. Dartmouth has the only [student-geared

United Way] campaign in the Ivy League," Adams said.

A five-member student campaign committee is taking a strong role in planning activities and organizing various fund-raising events such as a rowing race, an a cappella benefit concert and a raffle.

The committee is also contacting many sections of the student body such as Greek houses, class councils and athletic teams in its effort to raise funds.

The student committee includes Danielle Brune '96, Lauren Demski '96, Angela Lee '95, David Moran '96 and Michael Strahs '96.