Moracco FSP in approval stages

Within the next few days, the Asian Studies program will find out if the Committee on Off-Campus Activities has approved its Foreign Study Program to Fez, Morocco.

Last May a group of Asian Studies professors proposed forming a new Foriegn Study Program in Fez, citing the lack of prior cultural-oriented Dartmouth off-campus programs in the Middle East.

Dale Eickelman, anthropology professor and co-chair of the Asian Studies program, was the main driving force behind the proposal, which was recently put up to a vote by COCA.

"This [FSP] is something the faculty has been talking about for some time," Eickelman said.

Eickelman said the proposed Asian Studies FSP would be associated with the American Language Institute in Fez.

Eickelman had personal contact with the Institute during his time as a Fulbright scholar and recommened the school because "the Moroccan staff has developed the best materials to introduce students to the Moroccan society and language."

Eickelman said he envisions the program as a true cultural experience for students. He said while participants would not have to take a language program during the term, they would eventually learn enough Arabic to get by.

Religion Professor Kevin Reinhart sent an electronic message to about 45 students and professors giving some information about the proposed FSP. "It would not be a language program, but would include language components for those who wish it," he wrote.

The proposal stated that the FSP would be provisionally offered in Fall Term in 1995. Eickelman said he hopes it will be offered every subsequent year and will accomodate between 15 and 20 students.

Eickelman said he would be the faculty leading the program for the first year because of his long-term involvement with the country.

In May the proposal gained approval from both the Asian Studies Steering Committee and the program's full faculty, Eickelman said.

In June the proposal also passed the Council on Special Programs, Eickelman said. He said the council voiced "strong support" for the initiative.

Environmental Studies Professor Andrew Friedland, this year's COCA chair, said, "We have met and discussed [the proposal] and we signed a letter today to the Asian Studies program."

Friedland declined to comment on whether COCA has approved the FSP before the professors concerned with the proposal receive the letter, which he said should be within the next two days.

On Oct. 11, COCA offered the program provisional approval for one year so that it may seek the approval of other committees, Friedland said.

"There are current discussions on funding," Eickelman said.

He said he has attempted to find popular support among students and professors in other departments. Eickelman said he wanted to test student interest and find out whether students could accomodate the FSP in their D-Plan "if it were to receive the necessary approvals."

Eickelman informally contacted interested professors in the Asian Studies program and the government, religion, history, anthropology, sociology and French and Italian departments.

"We're getting a sounding off of students showing interest," Eickelman said. He said students interested in the program come from a wide variety of disciplines such as anthropology, history, government, Arabic and French -- the most widely-used European language of Morocco.

Sarah Cho '97, a potential Asian Studies major, said the program would best suit students who want to learn more about Arabic or the Middle East. She said she liked that the FSP would enable students to learn about the country without having to take specific language courses.

Eickelman said he has worked periodically in Morocco since 1969 on several grants and has written a number of books on the culture of Morocco and the Middle East.

Assistant Dean of Faculty and Exchange Programs Coordinator Peter Armstrong said the approval process for an off-campus program typically takes at least a fiscal year.

He said the professors drafting the proposal must bring it before the entire department under which it lies. Next it needs the approval of the appropriate Divisional Councils, and is then sent to COCA.

Next, any new courses, including those to be taught on the FSP, must seek prior approval of the Committee on Instruction.

Then the proposal goes before the Committee of Chairs of the Arts and Sciences, the Dean of the Faculty and other administrators to determine possible funding sources.

A proposal that passes the committees by Fall term may be available as early as the following academic year, Armstrong said.