Johnson, CS prof, dead

Computer Science Professor Donald Johnson, a brilliant scientist and the creator of Dartmouth's nationally respected computer science program, died September 10 while hiking Mount Cube near Orford, N.H. with his fiancee's daughter. He was 60 years old.

Erica Ruliffson '95, a D.O.C. trip leader, tried to rescucitate Johnson when she and her group of freshmen found his body on the trail shortly after eating lunch on the top of Mount Cube.

Ruliffson performed Cardio-Pulmonary Rescucitation for 15 minutes before giving up.

"I realized it was futile," Ruliffson said. "It was too late by the time we got there."

He died of a heart attack, according to The Valley News.

When Johnson arrived at Dartmouth a decade ago to establish a graduate program in computer science, the program consisted of three faculty members, who were mathematics specialists, teaching 60 computer science undergraduates per year.

In those 10 years, Johnson built up the department, carefully selecting top-level faculty and cutting edge technology for the College.

He played an instrumental part in the construction and funding of the Sudikoff Laboratory for Computer Science, which opened last year with a goal of keeping Dartmouth at the forefront of computer technology.

This fall, he was to be the first chair of the computer science department, which split from the mathematics and computer science department July 1.

Dean of Faculty James Wright said it was a tragedy that Johnson was not able to enjoy fully the results of his decade of work.

"He made a substantial impact at Dartmouth and he will be missed," Wright said.

Johnson's favorite research involved finding "efficient algorithms" -- ordered sets of steps used to solve a problem.

"He was a man who always liked to know what made things work. He wanted to think out problems completely and deeply and wanted a quality result. He really was a perfectionist in many different ways," said Computer Science Professor Fillia Makedon, Johnson's fiancee. They were to be married this December.

Makedon worked with Johnson on numerous projects. Together they formed the Dartmouth Institute for Advanced Graduate Studies and were planning a conference called DAGS '95: Electronic Publishing and the Information Superhighway.

The two were also researching the area of information retrieval and were working to provide an introductory class on parallel computing for freshmen.

"He really was a brilliant man. He could be half asleep in a seminar and then ask the hardest question -- he would hit the nail on the head," Makedon said.

Johnson's work was well-respected throughout the wider academic community and Makedon said she had received condolences from colleagues around the world.

Students who worked with Johnson said that though his death has had a large impact, the computer science department Johnson created is strong enough to withstand it.

"He didn't build this department to fall apart. He built the department to be a solid department. He was instrumental in obtaining resources and those things will live on," graduate student Charles Owen said.

In the classroom, Johnson pushed his students.

"He liked to give students the opportunity to live up to their potential. His assignments were often times very challenging," Owen said.

"But everything he talked about in class he completely understood. His material was second nature to him."

Out of class, Johnson was more than just a brilliant scientist.

"He was a very gentle man with lots of interests. He wanted to learn Greek. He played the piano beautifully . He painted and he liked to chop wood," Makedon said. "He was a very, very devoted partner and a very sweet man."

Makedon said the timing of Johnson's death was tragic.

"He was very excited about the new department. We all helped but he was the leader," she said. "He wanted to be the inaugural leader, to have the chance to set the tone."

Professor of Computer Science Donald Kreider said Johnson's kind and considerate manner explained his success.

"He would always consult with people and respect their answers even when he disagreed. He always did things in a way which caused people to feel they were valued," Kreider said.

Johnson was born in 1933 in Berkeley, Calif.. He was offered more than 20 unsolicited scholarships upon his graduation from high school.

He earned a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from Cornell University and began working in management positions at a number of chemical companies, including Dupont.

After 13 years he decided to search for something more challenging and returned to Cornell and received his doctorate in computer science in two-and-a-half years instead of the normal four or five.

Johnson contributed to more than 50 scientific publications and was the recipient of many awards and grants including several from the National Science Forum.

Johnson is survived by his two daughters, Lisa Johnson of New York City and Julia Johnson Brown of Santa Monica, Calif.; a sister, Elizabeth Leggett of Tucson, Ariz.; his fiancee, Makedon and her daughter, Calliope Makedon Sudborough; and four nephews and two nieces.

A memorial service was held Sept. 14. A memorial fund is being established in honor of Johnson. Please contact the computer science department at 646-1358 for further information.

Ruliffson's group of just-arrived students acted calmly in the midst of a potentially harrowing situation.

"Actually, everybody was surprisingly calm about it," Antha Williams '98, a member of the trip, said. "There was no point in really freaking out about it."

Two students, Henry Rosevear '98 and Laura Turner '98, ran for help along several miles of trail, eventually meeting up with a D.O.C. van.

Meanwhile, Ruliffson, Antha Williams '98 and Fouad ElNaggar '98 treated the 12-year-old daughter of Johnson's fiancee, who was near shock.

Williams said Makedon was in hysterics and was unwilling to put on warm clothing despite dropping temperatures. Williams and the group managed to get Makedon in a sleeping bag and relax her.

"I think if we hadn't been there, she just would've gone into shock," Williams said. "She was a really strong kid. She was really handling it well."

After Johnson's body was evacuated from the trail, Ruliffson's group finished their trip.