Freedman opens 225th year

College President James Freedman and U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Donna Shalala delivered dual messages about the importance of introspection and political awareness at the College's 225th Convocation yesterday in Leede Arena.

The president, whose birthday fell on Convocation this year, received a one minute standing ovation when introduced by new College Provost Lee Bollinger.

In his opening remark Freedman stated, "I've just completed six months of chemotherapy and I feel as invigorated today as I have on any other birthday." He then received another ovation from the more than 1200 people in attendance.

Freedman began by calling Convocation "a communal affair that affirms our status as members of a commonwealth of liberal learning." However, he focused his speech on the dedication to solitude that is a necessary part of life.

Freedman pointed out that "not too long ago, one day of every week was sealed in relative silence." However, today "everywhere we look the world urges us to avoid the pleasures of silence."

"We often act as if silence and solitude are conditions to be avoided at all costs -- out of a fear, perhaps, that left alone with our thoughts and feelings, we may discover that we don't have any, or that we do not make very good company for ourselves, or worst of all, that we utterly lack a private self," Freedman said.

The president discussed essayists George Orwell and Edmund Wilson to illustrate his point about the virtue of silence and contemplation, echoing themes from speeches throughout his presidency that have challenged students to pursue private intellectual thought.

"I would urge each of you during your years at Dartmouth to follow the example set by George Orwell and Edmund Wilson and to develop in yourselves the independence of mind to stay true to your opinions," Freedman said.

He commented on Orwell's ability to be introspective, writing essays about England that noted both the country's humane gentleness and its harsh imperialism and class privilege.

Freedman praised Wilson using the words of Lionel Trilling who said, "[he was] in his own person, and young as he was, to propose and realize the idea of the literary life."

Following his speech, Freedman presented Shalala with an honorary Doctorate of Laws degree.

In her address Shalala spoke out against the myth of the "Generation X" stereotype.

"I believe that you -- and your entire generation -- will define yourselves not according to someone else's stereotypes, but according to your words and deeds, with your hopes and with your dreams," she said.

Her speech then turned to focus on the accomplishments of the current Presidential administration and how they have affected the college community. She urged students to pay attention to events in Washington, D.C. and to think about how they affect them.

"I want to issue you this challenge: every time you pick up the paper or listen to the news, think about the particular issue facing this country, your role in it and how it affects your life," she said.

Shalala closed her speech quoting Theodor Geisel '25, better known as Dr. Seuss. "You have brains in your head, You have feet in your shoes, You can steer yourself any direction you chose."

Student Assembly President Danielle Moore '95, in her first address as president spoke about issues of community, discussing a personal metamorphosis that has changed her outlook from an angered student to a one concerned with unifying groups at the College.

"It is only after a long summer of introspective thinking that I have been able to leave my anger behind and concentrate on the revolutionary idea of community."

Moore discussed the need to find a balance between "individual expression and collective voice" and urged students to remain true to their identities without losing touch with the importance of the community.

"Never forget and always understand that there is diversity and difference in even the most seemingly homogeneous groups," she said.