Clinton and Haiti

On Sunday afternoon, the United Nations Security Council authorized a military invasion of Haiti by the United States.

The problems in Haiti have been in the news for at least three years now, when a military coup deposed President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in 1991.

Former President George Bush and President Bill Clinton have each addressed the Haitian situation during their respective administrations. They each made policy to deal with refugees, supported economic sanctions and urged a return to democratic rule on the island.

But it was only recently that Clinton turned up the rhetoric and pressure on Haiti's military leaders. The U.N. vote on Sunday seems to have come from nowhere.

Clinton and his administration have not adequately convinced the American public and Congress that a U.S.-led invasion of Haiti is in America's best interests.

The Security Council vote does not and should not set U.S. foreign policy. In this situation, the Clinton Administration has bypassed both public opinion and Congress in its decision to seek U.N. approval of military intervention.

Today, Clinton will deliver his first message to the American people on the Haiti issue since he decided to pursue U.N. approval of a military invasion.

In his speech, Clinton must make clear the reasoning that led to his decision to pursue approval for the use of military force.

Clinton needs to explain why domestic peace within Haiti is in the United States' best interest.

These points are important because they will be needed to convince the American public and Congress that it should be U.S. policy to storm the beaches of Haiti in an effort to restore democracy.

I am not necessarily against a American-led invasion of Haiti. I understand the difficulty this situation places the Clinton Administration in. The issue of Haiti is filled with humanitarian, democratic and legalistic problems.

Clinton needs to convince the American public his course of action is correct, and he needs to check with Congress, not just the U.N., before moving forward with any sort of military intervention.