Morriss' art now on display

From July 12 through August 22, the Upper Jewett Corridor of the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts will host a new exhibition of modern art by Annette Morriss.

The exhibit will contain 21 works done in conte pencil and charcoal. In 14 years of solo exhibition and 18 of group exhibition, this is the first time Morriss' work has been shown at Dartmouth.

The abstract nature arises from Morriss' work with geometric shapes as well as the art of drawing. Basic figures, such as circles, squares and triangles are overlain and interwoven to form complex designs.

The interrelationships of the figures and the use of erasure and rub outs leave apparent holes in the piece, almost implying the depth of the third dimension.

Morriss' exhibits have also been featured in the Atrium Gallery in St. Louis, Mo., the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Rental Gallery and the Charles Cowles Annex Gallery in New York City.

Morriss earned her Masters of Fine Arts degree from Yale University and a Bachelor of Arts in English at Stanford University. She has taught at Vassar College and has been a visiting artist at the Maryland Art Institute in Baltimore, Md.

Some of her other honors include receiving the Louis Comfort Tiffany Fellowship in 1984 and the National Endowment for the Arts Regional Fellowship for works on paper in 1992.

Morris has described her works as her "amusement and occasional neglect in achieving a final sensual appeal ... It becomes a metaphor for the natural world -- its complexity, levity and elegance."