Helldorado to rage on Green

The main event of Green Key's Helldorado theme consists of a festival on the Green on Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m.

In addition to the planned musical events, the Green Key Planning Committee has developed a series of booths, contests, musical programs and events in celebration of Green Key Weekend.

Kerri Cavanaugh '95, chair of the committee, said she hopes the event will be successful.

"In the past people stop [at the Green] on their way to somewhere else," Cavanaugh said. "Between all of the different activities more people will be involved rather than just walking by.

"Hopefully if a lot of people will want to become involved in the Olympics and it will be something that people will want to go to," she added.

The Swinging Steaks, a country rock band, will perform on the Green from 2 to 4 p.m.

In celebration of this year's theme a pig will be roasted over a flaming pit. Samples of the pig will be given out as well as baked potatoes roasted over the same fire and apple crisp. Drinks will be sold in expensively all day.

As in past years, t-shirts will be available for purchase. The shirts are short-sleeved, will sell for $10, and depict the Helldorado theme as drawn by Winter Carnival poster and t-shirt artist David Stack '96. Both student IDs or paid for in cash are accepted.

Students will have the opportunity to tie-dye t-shirts and other articles of clothing with the help of Delta Gamma sorority.

The planning committee has also organized a petting farm which will be on one side of the Green and will include sheep, goats, pigmegoats, a yak, cows and donkeys.

People will be able to pet some animals who will be fenced in. The animals are being brought to the College by farm owner Amy Record of Lyme. Kathy Keyser '96, member of the planning committee and organizer of the petting farm said Record will bring the offspring of the larger animals.

The planning committee has organized the first official Green Key Olympics which consists of various contests between greek houses, campus groups such as dorm clusters and other student organizations. [See article page 12]

The Programming Board has also booked "The Useless Trick Man" who will set up a booth on the green and teach people how to perform some tricks.

The Class of1995 is sponsoring sumo wrestling on the Green for which students who want to strap on 40-pound suits and wrestle each other.

Tim Rodenberger, president of the Class of 1995, said participants must be of similar height and weight according to a recommendation by College lawyers.

The Class of 1995 will also sponsor a gyroscope where participants will strap on helmets and enter an apparatus that will spin them around.

Both of the events sponsored by the Class of 1995 will be free of charge and open to all students.

In addition to the Olympics, student groups and organizations will have booths on the Green, either distributing food or hosting an activity. The best food booth will be awarded a $100 gift certificate for a Dartmouth Dining Services-catered barbecue and the best activity booth will be awarded a $200 certificate.

The participants in the booths will include people from campus organizations, greek houses, student publications and other organizations.

Andrew Koh '96, a member of the planning committee and organizers of the booths, said as of yesterday five student organizations have expressed interest in having a booth.

DG will sponsor a dunking booth with all proceeds going to charity. Half the proceeds will be donated to David's House, a temporary home for the families of children receiving treatment at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

The individual or group who dunks the most will be given a $100 gift certificate to Everything But Anchovies.

The Solar Racing Team will display their Sun Vox car on the Green.

The American Israeli Leauge at Dartmouth will have a booth serving ethinic food.

Sigma Nu fraternity will have a whiffle ball batting cage.

The Russian Club will sell t-shirts and food, with proceeds benefiting a charity in the former Soviet Union.

Al-Nur will be selling carnations and green balloons for charity.