Sugahara for President

Tuesday, April 12th - election day. Today we will decide who gets the not-so-enviable task of taking the reins of Dartmouth's little U.N., the Student Assembly. Being that many of us either a) have not decided for whom we will cast our ballot or b) don't care who wins, I would like to present a few scenarios for us all to consider.

It would be a waste of time to evoke memories of the Assembly's follies this year as we are all quite aware of them. However, it is important to realize that the election of Nicole Artzer '94 last year was, in itself, a step in the right direction. Artzer broke the Green-Ellner-McBennett-Beebe dynasty and forged a new path towards a more responsible and practical Assembly. In a way, this year could indeed be viewed as a "transition year," if you will.

So, here we are in 1994 facing a new election. While in this forum I will address the Presidential and Vice Presidential elections, it is very important to remember that one person does not make an organization and every at-large member of the SA will also have a role in shaping the organization. All of this said, let's take a look at this year's smorgasbord of politicians.

In the Vice Presidential election, the choice is very clear as far as I'm concerned. Alex Morgan '95 is not only experienced, but has a practical and I dare say mainstream view in regard to the proper goals of the Assembly. Morgan will do a commendable job as Vice President and I will be casting my ballot for her today.

Her opponent is Rukmini Sichitiu '95. Sichitiu could quite accurately be dubbed the multiculturalist candidate. She wants to use the SA as a forum to end intolerance, racial and sexual harassment and discrimination on campus. Translation: more politics, more task forces, fewer results. The SA is not going to forge new widespread changes in people's attitudes on campus. The SA is going to get us more public-access Macs. Electing Sichitiu means a return to the days when the SA would spend time condemning the Boy Scouts and any other politically incorrect group nationwide. Just say no.

The Presidential election is an interesting one to ponder. Five candidates are competing for the job, but the resounding theme from all of them is removing politics and petty disputes from the Assembly's floor. All five have agreed that the infighting we witnessed this year must not reappear next year.

With that understood, Danielle Moore '95 would be a nightmare.

Moore's middle name is politics and she is a walking controversy. After she depledged her sorority this summer (for what she has said were personal reasons), she felt it necessary to write a column in The Dartmouth detailing the experience. In the past year, it has seemed as if every ten minutes, Moore was making a political statement in the pages of some publication about some issue. She's obviously very political and very partisan. I have no doubt that Danielle Moore is a very energetic and capable individual, but she is the wrong choice for the job of Assembly President. I guarantee that if she were to be elected, the politics and infighting would increase exponentially.

Jim Brennan '96 is a very viable candidate and presents a strong alternative. He recognizes the importance of the Greek system on campus without having joined a Greek house himself. While I have little doubt that Brennan would do a good job as President, this is not his year. As a sophomore, he has another year which he can use to gather more experience and wisdom in regard to the Assembly.

This year, the nod must go to Kenji Sugahara '95. He is a veteran of the Assembly and because of his experiences with the SA, I believe he has the best vision for its future. Yes, he had a part in the Artzer impeachment fiasco, but while some would argue that Sugahara was on both sides of the fence, I think a more accurate analysis would be that he realized how ridiculous the whole affair was after inviting input from fellow students. Sugahara has been around long enough to know that students don't want the SA to be pursuing greater social ideals, but rather endeavoring to provide services and act as a channel of communication with the administration. Under Kenji Sugahara, we will hear less about the Assembly but see more results.

I have neglected to discuss Caleb Scott '97 and Jeremy Katz '95 because, quite frankly, I don't believe either of them has a great chance of winning. I simply can't see the student body electing either a first-year student or a contributor to The Dartmouth Review to the position of Student Assembly President.

Thank you for reading and please get out and vote.