Students to protest ROTC

Students angry at the Board of Trustees' decision to continue the Reserve Officer Training Corps will lead a demonstration outside of Parkhurst Administration building at 12:30 p.m. today.

Hours after the Board handed down its decision on Saturday, eight students scrambled to organize the protest, meeting in the evening to plan the rally.

"We, as gay people, cannot let these institutions think that they can get away with not treating us fairly and not have us make a stink," Bart Bingenheimer '94, one of the organizers, said.

Dartmouth Gay, Lesbian Bisexual Organization co-chair S. T. Shimi '94, another organizer, said she will give a speech at the rally.

English Professor Tom Luxon, who will address the crowd today, said the Trustees have lost any credibility on the issue and their actions to influence change with military and government officials will be futile.

Starting Saturday night, the students hung fliers announcing today's rally and proclaiming."This decision was an outrage and an insult to queer students and supporters of human rights."

"We want to show the Trustees how many people are disgusted with them," Shimi said.

Saturday afternoon, right after the decision's announcement, Bingenheimer sent out a BlitzMail message to drum up support for the protest.

"I'm thinking a massive demonstration on Monday morning in front of Parkhurst, possibly including civil disobedience - if we can pull it off," he wrote. "(I am willing to be arrested.)"

But Bingenheimer said yesterday that civil disobedience would not be involved.

Bingenheimer said he, Shimi, Heather Searles '94, David Cohen '94, Earl Plant '94, Lyn Webster '94, Carter Wray '97 and Michael Lowenthal '90 organized the protest.