Wright names new deans

Dean of the Faculty James Wright announced yesterday the appointment of Biology Chair Edward Berger to the position of dean of graduate studies and Physics Professor John Walsh to the dean of the sciences position.

Berger will replace Richard Birnie and Walsh will fill the position vacated by Karen Wetterhahn. The position rotations occur every four years and will take effect July 1.

"I make the selection in consultation with faculty asking for nominations and suggestions to positions," Wright said. "I start looking in January. This normal rotation in office has the effect of bringing new people in."

As dean of graduate studies, Berger said his responsibilities will include managing graduate programs in various departments, being involved in all aspects of recruiting, serving as a resource for students with complaints and coordinating funding for special projects.

"Graduate education is a pretty controversial topic," Berger said. "I think it's important to be involved in it at the dean level."

Berger still plans to teach Biology 3, his Genetics in Society course, while working at the administrative level.

Birnie will resume his position as geology professor and engage in full-time teaching and research, he said.

Walsh said he is looking forward to assuming his new responsibilities as dean of the sciences, which will involve routine management jobs.

"I feel good about it. I'm looking forward to the challenge," Walsh said.

"I will represent the science division to the rest of the faculty, dean of the faculty and the administration. I will support their needs."

Wetterhahn said she has a lot of confidence in Walsh's abilities. "I think he will be excellent... He will bring a good perspective to the position," Wetterhan said.

Wetterhahn will serve as acting dean of the faculty beginning Jan. 1, 1995 while James Wright replaces President James Freedman during his planned six-month sabbatical.