Katz '95 to run for SA prez

Six students will seek the Student Assembly presidency in the April 12 election and more than 75 students are running for the 53 other elected positions.

Five students -Jim Brennan '96, David Gonzalez '95, Danielle Moore '95, Caleb Scott '97 and Kenji Sugahara '95 - announced their candidacies before Director of Student Activities Tim Moore released the official ballot.

Jeremy Katz '95 also will be on the ballot.

Moore released the official list of candidates on March 14. Election guidelines require that Candidates' eligibility be cleared by the Dean of the College Office before Moore could release their names.

The Dean of the College Office makes sure the candidates are in good academic standing and that they will be on campus when they would be in office.

Katz is president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and serves on the Committee on Standards, the College's internal disciplinary committee.

He said the Assembly should be restructured to restore students' confidence in the Assembly. He said the current Assembly does not have a definitive purpose and is too political.

Katz said the Assembly's budget should be reduced and other student organizations should receive additional funding. He said he would like to see the Assembly have less of a role on campus and the class councils more.

"These are the councils that get most of the important things done, and they are undermanned and under funded," Katz said.

"I think that the ideal student leadership role as president would have me leading an Assembly that promotes interclass interests, and mediates between them," he said.

Brennan is on the Rockefeller Center Student Council and the sophomore class council. Last Fall he led an effort urging students to vote in support of single-sex Greek organizations at Dartmouth in an Assembly-sponsored referendum.

Gonzalez is a member of Zeta Psi fraternity and an area coordinator for the Office of Residential Life. He is also chair of the Task Force on the Status of Women on Dartmouth.

Danielle Moore is an Assembly veteran, who also is an active member of Native Americans at Dartmouth. She is also an area coordinator and is on the Task Force of Women at Dartmouth.

Scott said he is running as a protest to the current state of the Assembly, which he believes is bogged down by politics.

Sugahara is currently co-chair of the Assembly's Administrative Affairs Committee, and was the Interfraternity Council's Rush Chair Fall term. He is the creator of the popular "Weekend Update" BlitzMail message listing weekend events.

Brennan, Gonzalez and Scott have never served on the Assembly.

Students cannot begin campaigning until Tuesday, April 5, one week before the election. Assembly presidential and vice presidential hopefuls can spend up to $100 on their campaigns; all other students can spend up to $50 on campaign materials.

Three juniors are running for Assembly Vice President -Steven Fagell '95, Alexandra Morgan '95 and Rukmini Sichitiu '95.

Fagell has chaired several Assembly committees, Morgan was Assembly Vice President over the summer and Sichitiu was Assembly Secretary last year.

Forty-two studentsare running for 24 seats on the Student Assembly. Last year 46 students ran for 21 general Assembly seats. The recently revised Assembly constitution added the three seats.