College names soccer coach

Fran O'Leary, who is currently the men's soccer coach at Kenyon College in Ohio, has been appointed head coach of the Dartmouth men's soccer team, Athletic Director Dick Jaeger announced last week.

"We're excited to welcome Fran to the Dartmouth athletic department," Jaeger said. "Not only is his background impressive, but his goals and standards as a coach are on a level with what the Dartmouth soccer program has enjoyed in the past. Fran brings continuity, energy and ability to the department and the team, as well as valuable experience in recruiting."

For the past two seasons, 31-year-old O'Leary has headed the Kenyon program, directing the Lords to a combined record of 32-4-4. In 1993, Kenyon was an NCAA Division III semifinalist and the top-ranked team in the ISAA Division III national poll.

In both 1992 and 1993, the school was first in the Great Lakes Region and co-champion of the North Coast Athletic Conference. His 1993 squad was voted the NCAC Fair Play Award.

O'Leary was named NSCAA Regional Coach of the Year in 1993 and Ohio Soccer Coaches Association Coach of the Year. In 1992, he was chosen NCAC Co-Coach of the Year.

His experience also includes three years as head coach of Elmira College, from 1989 to 1991. Under his guidance, Elmira earned regional and national rankings for the first time in the school's history and its first trip to a post-season tournament - the ECAC playoffs in 1990.

O'Leary's record at Elmira was 38-11-2. In five years as a collegiate head coach, he is 70-15-6 for an impressive winning percentage of 80.2 percent.

O'Leary also worked as an assistant coach at the University of New Hampshire and Boston College, and as a physical education instructor at St. Anne's School in Lawrence, Mass.

A native of Ireland, O'Leary graduated from Moyle Park College of Dublin in 1985 with a bachelor's degree in physical education.

From 1984 to 1985 he was head soccer coach for CIE/Transport of Dublin. The previous year, he was an assistant coach of St. Patrick's Athletic Soccer Club.

A veteran competitor, as well, O'Leary played in Ireland for 14 years, advancing to the League of Ireland "B" level.

Certified as a coach in both Ireland and England, O'Leary has also worked with the Upper Valley's Lightning Soccer Camp, as an Olympic development coach in both New Hampshire and New York and as a member of the ISAA Division III playoff committee.

Ian Saward '95, co-captain of the men's soccer team and one of five players who interviewed prospective coaches, said though he was impressed with O'Leary's background and coaching record, what stood out most was that Saward found it very easy to talk to the new coach.

"All the coaches I saw had good credentials, but it was the manner in which he presented himself that set him apart - he seemed very personable," Saward said.

O'Leary replaces Bobby Clark, who resigned in January after nine years at Dartmouth to become the national team coach for New Zealand. Clark coached the Big Green to three Ivy League titles and an 82-42-13 record, the best mark for any coach in the history of the program.

O'Leary, who becomes the eighth men's soccer coach at Dartmouth, could not be reached for comment.