Should Harding be Allowed to Compete

I can remain silent no longer. In the last two weeks I have avoided the foremost question on the minds of the American people.

My opinion regarding the controversy may be somewhat biased. Throughout the 1980s, my family would gather around the television to watch every night of the Winter Olympics together. With ABC's Jim McKay serving as our guide through Lake Placid, Sarajevo and Calgary, we witnessed some of the greatest moments in the history of sports.

The Olympics were special because of the unique spirit surrounding the event. The amateur athletes were not competing for money or even so much for personal glory, but rather for the love of sport. They were there to represent their country and bring home the gold.

For winners in certain glamour events, money, fame and celebrity endorsements were sure to follow. But to me, the tears in the eyes of the typical gold medalist as his or her country's flag rose and national anthem played showed the true meaning of the games.

While professionals are now allowed to compete in most events and the Olympic spirit to some degree has been corrupted, I would still like to pretend for two weeks this February that the Winter Olympics I remember so fondly can still exist.

Tonya Harding's participation in the Lillehammer Games would ruin my illusion and unfortunately, further tarnish the Olympics. Harding's behavior and attitude reflect the antithesis of the Olympic spirit. While she should be presumed innocent until proven guilty of conspiring to attack Nancy Kerrigan, the public record contains more than enough to disqualify Harding as a member of the United States Olympic team.

Harding has publicly admitted to learning after the fact that those close to her were responsible for the attack on Kerrigan. She did not come forward and report this to the proper authorities. Instead, she waited and hoped the identity of Kerrigan's assailant would never come to light.

To put it mildly, such behavior is not consistent with good sportsmanship. It is also a violation of the code of ethics of the U.S. Olympic Committee and of the U.S. Figure Skating Association.

Harding is further guilty of lying to the FBI, which is a violation of Federal law. She first denied to the FBI ever knowing that her ex-husband and bodyguard were involved in the attack on Kerrigan. She has also given federal agents contradictory reasons for calling the rink where Kerrigan practiced in late December. While attempting to use fear of her former husband as an excuse, Harding has admitted to misleading investigators and not answering the FBI's questions truthfully.

Harding's former husband Jeff Gillooly and others involved in the plot have implicated her in the conspiracy. They allege that Harding helped plan and approved of the assault of Kerrigan. Without access to the FBI files, it is impossible to know how much corroborating evidence exists against Harding.

But leaving aside the question of Harding's guilt or innocence, her confirmed actions should keep her off the Olympic team. Lying to the FBI and withholding information about an attack on her main competitor do not reflect good sportsmanship and are not consistent with the standards we should demand from those representing our country in the Olympic Games.

Even if all of the accusations against Harding are false, she certainly is guilty of fostering a shockingly negative and destructive attitude within her own camp. Americans should have no sympathy for her. Throughout the controversy, Harding has revealed herself to be untruthful and vindictive. Her attitude has no place in athletics, and she should have no place on the U.S. Olympic team.