Questioning the Greek System is Courageous, not Hypocritical

Last weekend, Marshall Bass '94, a brother of Alpha Delta Fraternity, shot a pellet into a crowd of people gathered outside AD. The pellet hit Clark Khayat '93 in the head and sent him to the hospital. This sort of incident forces students to make tough choices about an embattled Greek system.

For non-Greeks who have problems with the system, the shooting is a great example of horrible behavior sanctioned by the houses. Presumably other brothers at least condoned or even encouraged Bass' actions.

These non-Greek students face a dilemma. Concerned students see the need for huge, perhaps revolutionary change in the Greek system. They ask themselves, "By attending frat parties, am I not supporting the flawed system?"

Yet these students, while non-Greek, are still social beings. At fraternity parties they have an opportunity to see their friends, dance to music and enjoy a social atmosphere. Other options exist, but nothing else has the combination of friends, music and free alcohol.

How strong can your beliefs be if you drink their beer? Is it hypocrisy to oppose the system while attending the parties? No. When trying to change any society, one must still function within that society.

When attending a frat party a student does make a certain statement: "I enjoy having a good time with my friends." The statement need not go further. The reform-minded individual need not say, "I support every facet of the social system I take part in." Just as a citizen of the United States need not say she supports every facet of her country.

To maintain a good conscience, however, the reformer must keep her eyes open for the problems, inequalities and idiocy inherent in the Greek system.

A similar dilemma exists for members of Greek houses. Suppose (as is likely) that several AD brothers had some idea of what Bass was about to do. In an instant these brothers had to make a decision. "Do I question a brother? Where does my loyalty lie?"

Joining a Greek house should not entail a loss of reasoning abilities. If a student involved in the Greek system perceives a problem with that system, it is not hypocritical to speak up.

While members of the Greek system are shooting students in the head, they are shooting the Greek system in the foot. If affiliated students want the system to survive, they had better start noticing and correcting the problems. It would be stupid to remain silent. However, as Bass has eloquently demonstrated, there is no lack of stupidity in the Greek system.

It takes courage to speak up and force changes. Every Greek brother and sister on campus faces decisions which question their loyalty. These brothers and sisters need to recognize there is no hypocrisy in questioning their own organization. There is no hypocrisy, only courage.

If there is successful reform, reformers within and without the Greek system will have one thing in common: courage. With courage we can create a system that allows students to be proud of where they dance and grab a beer, where actions of violence will not be condoned.