Norwich's Jasper Murdock's brews its own beer

Students looking for a more refined beer drinking experience can now head to Jasper Murdock's Alehouse in Norwich, Vt., which serves home-brewed beer.

Murdock's is located in the Norwich Inn and seats approximately 35 patrons in an English atmosphere, said Tim Wilson, who runs the pub.

"It's a nice little fraternity of people who know good beer and enjoy good beer," Wilson said.

For Wilson, who has been brewing beer as a hobby for five or six years, becoming the owner of a pub which brews its own beer was an easy transition.

"Brewing is an awful lot of fun, and it took a very small investment to open a brewery in an existing restaurant," Wilson said.

The pub already boasts regular customers, who can choose from a variety of beers from the pub's three taps every day. Whistling Pig Red Ale is the pub's staple.

"[The beer has] been pretty high-quality," said Kurt Jackisch, a student at the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration.

Jackisch goes to the pub once every week or two, he said.

"It's a combination of the good quality beer and the atmosphere," Jackisch said.

In the six months since the pub's opening, it has served 15 kinds of beer, Wilson said.

"We can do something new every day of the week," Wilson said.

So far, Wilson said his only concern is that the alehouse, which is currently the smallest brewer's pub in the United States, might become too well known. Already, he sells nearly all 15 gallons of beer which he produces each day.