'Exotic comedian' will perform

If your parents are a Cuban comedian and an exotic dancer, what does that make you? An exotic comedian, as stand-up comic and performance artist Marga Gomez describes herself. Her unusual humor will be spotlighted tonight in a solo performance titled "Marga Gomez: Half Cuban, Half Lesbian" in Faulkner Recital Hall at 8 p.m.

Gomez' career in show business began as a tot in Harlem when she would perform onstage with her parents and their chihuahua in Latino theaters, following such acts as Tito Puente and Celia Cruz.

By 1979 Gomez had travelled to San Francisco, about ten years too late to find the hippie subculture she sought but in time to start a career with the feminist theater ensemble Lilith. With the troupe she toured Europe and the West coast for three years, and afterward developed her solo repertoire, which consists of off-beat characterizations and eccentric social commentary.

For two years Gomez was an original member of the acclaimed Latino comedy group Culture Clash. She spent a season with the Tony Award-winning San Francisco Mime Troupe, and by 1988 had won the Cabaret Gold Award as "Entertainer of the Year." Her appearance at the College is part of her break onto the national scene. She has also done television work, including appearances on "Comic Relief" and "Comedy Tonight with Whoopi Goldberg."

"Marga Gomez: Half Cuban, Half Lesbian" is nearly sold out but ticket inquiries can be made at the Hopkins Center Box Office or by phone at 646-2422.