'Truman' author visits College

Pulitzer Prize-winning author David McCullough, most famous for his biography of Harry S. Truman, will visit the College next month as a Montgomery Fellow.

During his five-day stay in Hanover, from Feb. 7 to 11, McCullough will give a public lecture and speak to engineering, English and history classes about the wisdom that has brought him acclaim as a writer and a historian.

McCullough is the author of five widely-acclaimed works of history and biography, including "The Path Between the Seas," a chronicle of the Panama Canal's construction, and "Mornings on Horseback," a book about the early life of Theodore Roosevelt.

In 1993, McCullough received a Pulitzer Prize for "Truman," the first full-scale biography of the former president. A 10-year project, the book also earned McCullough a Guggenheim Fellowship and a Parkman Prize.

On Wednesday, Feb. 9, McCullough will deliver an address titled "From a Historical Perspective: An Evening with David McCullough."

"He will be visiting classes and interacting with students and faculty," said Barbara Gerstner, the Montgomery Endowment's executive director. "There will be many seminars and discussions organized."

"The Purpose of the Montgomery Fellowship is to provide extra-curricular activities for the students," Gerstner said. "It brings to the campus people that would not normally be here, for the benefit of the students."

McCullough was born in Pittsburgh, Ps., educated at Yale University and has received nine honorary degrees in humanities and engineering. He has taught at the Wesleyan Young Writers Conference and at Cornell University.

McCullough hosted the award-winning PBS series, "The American Experience" and has narrated numerous documentaries, including "The Civil War" and "LBJ," a a biography on Lyndon B. Johnson.