Soccer coach resigns

Bobby Clark, the men's soccer coach for the last nine years who established the Big Green as one of the nation's premier soccer programs, is leaving Dartmouth to coach New Zealand's national soccer team.

Clark met with team members Tuesday night to inform them of his decision and made his resignation public yesterday in a letter to supporters of the College's soccer program.

"This was a move that came quickly and unexpectedly for the Clark family," the letter said.

Clark wrote in the letter that he had not been seeking the position but felt it was too rare an opportunity to pass up.

Assistant Athletic Director Josie Harper said a search committee will be formed as soon as possible, probably within the next week, to find a replacement. "We don't plan on settling for anything less than a Bobby Clark quality coach," Harper said.

That will be a tall order. In nine seasons at Dartmouth, Clark compiled an 84-42-13 record (.646 winning percentage) and coached the Big Green to the Ivy League title in 1988, 1990 and 1992.

Clark's teams were ranked as high as eighth in the nation and, in 1990 and 1992, he led Dartmouth to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament.

"When people talk about Dartmouth soccer, they talk about Bobby Clark," midfielder Johnny Bosacco '96 said. "Not only is he a great coach that understands the technical side of the game, but he's a great motivator."